I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing thread points on windings
Posted by: Frank Wirtz (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 07:21PM

Granted, the best way to fix the sharp thread point is to never have a thread protruding at all.

In spite of my best efforts, I still get them. I am a new rod builder and slowly learning the tricks to building a nice rod. For me, the best way to trim thread is to use an ultra sharp razor blade, and to NOT pull hard on the tag end when cutting it off the wrap. I have also tried opening up the wrap a little, cutting the tag end against the blank, and then pushing the wrap back together. Any suggestions on this?

But if I end up with a thread protruding and get a small point of epoxy on my wrap, is there a way to fix it? I think I read somewhere that once the epoxy sets up a little, you can then trim it off with a razor and put on another thin coat over the top.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Frank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing thread points on windings
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 08:11PM

Yes, after epoxying you can use a sharp razor blade to shear the spike off and then recoat that wrap.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.43.---)
Date: February 10, 2013 08:21PM

Hi Frank,
One way to prevent this is to put your pull through in earlier, about ten wraps from the end. When you have finished your wrap put the end in the pull though and pull it up so everything is tight but not under the wrap. You can then use a sharp blade to cut it short, about 5 or 6 wraps from the end . Then pull everything through at 45 degrees to the wrap and you should have no sign of any thread. You will be better to practice this on a scrap piece to get it down pat before you use it on a rod. Small bits of thread can be carefully burnt off with a flame but this often leaves a small lump of melted thread which also causes a problem. As Phil has said you can cut it off after it has set and recoat and it will be good but it's better if you don't get them in the first place.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 09:03PM

I NEVER worry about tag ends showing. "My" technique is to apply at least two thin coats of finish to all my wraps. Before applying my second coat I give an inspection and slice off anything I don't like. Not worth the trouble for me to do it any different.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:46PM

There's been some good advice already given above. Here's a link that shows just how much you can do to fix fuzzies. [www.rodbuildingforum.com]

Posted by: Frank Wirtz (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 10:58PM

What a great forum... thank you for the help!

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: February 11, 2013 09:13AM

After your first coat is dried take a pair of finger nail clippers and nip off any protrusions then put on your 2nd coat.

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 05:12PM

2 coats of epoxy and then check for the thread tits,if i find 'em i use an electric razor with a bit of the screen gone,works great

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 05:36PM

after the first coat
The next day i check Any boo boos i give them a quick sand with 400 dry then recoat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jared Retter (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: February 11, 2013 09:25PM

Bill, after you sand do you buff with anything or just wipe clean?
Great info as i was having a few tag ends here and there stick up!
Thanks!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 12, 2013 05:32AM

Put the pull loop in earlier, and then pull till the thread just gets nipped up tight. Trim the tag short, then pull through completely while pinching down the last wrap with your thumbnail. Should not have any protrusions. As the other guys have mentioned, trimming nubs after the first coat then recoating will solve your problems.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 08:55AM

Also
After the tag end is pulled though burnish the entry area outward I then check the thread and give it a twist ( sometimes it unravels ) Burnishing helps to give a larger gap so the tag gets covered

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster