I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line Slap
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 05, 2013 10:25AM

Question. Which distance is more likely to cause LINE SLAP on a spinning rod? A. A bit shorter distance from the reel to the stripper (say 17 -19") or ... B. A bit longer distance from the reel to the stripper (say 20-22") ? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line Slap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2013 11:27AM

Either in the extreme can cause it, although farther will cause it more quickly.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 05, 2013 01:17PM

Thanks Tom Have a great Show. I lament not be able to come this year!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 03:02PM

Steve,
To look at it the other way, too short a distance can cause some line compression. But too long a distance will not cause any line compression which could affect casting distance.

As long as you have a resonably tall stripper guide you almost never have a line slap issue with any spinning rod.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 04:12PM

Does the type of line being used have anything to do with line slap, or is line slap chiefly determined by guide placement?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 06:05PM

Phil,
I would expect that if you have heavy lb test mono line - you would be much more prone to line slap that light lb test braided line that tends to be very very limp.

Roger

Date: February 05, 2013 06:47PM

Roger: I suspected the line plays a part; for an extreme example, casting #20 Mason mono vs. #20 braided spectra. Is there any concrete data on the subject of the interplay between guide placement and the type of line passing through these guides? Without such information it would be nearly impossible to minimize line slap in a custom built rod.

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 07:07PM

Florocarbon line (heavy) creates enhanced line slap on a spinning reel (rod). I avoid floro on my spinning reels unless I use a 3 or 4 ft. Leader.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 09:28AM

OK
Then with all this about butt guide too close Why does the Spin Cast reels with a ( chock ) small ringe what 1/2" from the reel cast so well

I also get more distance from braid then mono I beleve it is because being limp it does not hold the pig tails and goes streight quicker then mono

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: February 06, 2013 10:27AM

Bill,

Think of the spincast reel as having a microwave guide just in front of the spool. That funnel greatly reduces the number of paths that the line can take after it leaves the spool. The spincast reel gathers and controls the line almost immediately, making the requirements of the guide train essentially that of a casting rod. I suppose if you took a spinning reel with a spool diameter of 50mm and found a 60-70mm guide with the appropriate height and added a 10-12mm ring about an inch or so behind, you would likely get similar performance from a spinning reel. But, do you really want to add the bulk of that guide combination? That single butt guide would weigh at least several more times than most complete guide trains. The spin cast reel controls the line as it starts to billow out, rather than catching it on the way back down. The difference boils down to where the line is controlled.

With the spinning reel, the goal is to work at the other end of the wave envelope that sets the number of paths that the line may take. Take a look at some of the high speed camera shots of spinning reels, and look at what happens to the line about half-way between the reel and a butt guide location that is known to work well. Think of it as a guitar string. The line leaving the spool will have a set of peaks and nodes. After all, the line eventually needs to settle down to the path taken by the lure. Granted the peaks and nodes won't quite as well defined, but the effect is there. If you move the butt guide too close to that region where the line really flares, you will have line shooting past the ring and being pulled back through increasing friction with the guide, and may even back up the line flow enough to create line slap with the blank. This is one time where friction between the line and guide will play a significant role. If you move the butt guide too far toward the tip, the wave envelope will be large enough that line slap may occur.

As to when you expect line slap to occur based on guide location it will depend on all of the variables of the build and the casting conditions. Reel size/model, butt guide ring size and height, butt guide location, line diameter and type, etc. I don't believe there will ever be a set in stone solution to preventing line slap on spinning rods. The microwave may be as close as it gets with a single reduction train layout that works across a wide range of combinations. As long as you use one of the 'standard' techniques (cone of flight, ngc, 27x, KR/rapid choke, MW) within its recommendations line slap shouldn't be much of an issue. As far as how far you can push the limits for the sake of weight reduction on a particular build, it will depend on information provided by the end user. If the rod will be used in a very specific manner, you may be able to tune the guide train to casting a very specific lure. If the rod will be general purpose, used with a variety of reel sizes, line diameters, and types, you are best to test as many possible combinations to ensure that the rod performs well over as many combinations as possible.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 10:29AM by Joe Vanfossen.

Date: February 06, 2013 03:18PM

Is there any site which displays high-speed video of the behavior different types of spinning line (stiff, braid, mono, fluoro, soft) through different sizes and different spacing of guides? Anecdotal evidence and speculation are better than nothing, but provide nothing to justify the expense of a custom build. Maybe it's not a new rod but a new line which is necessary. I don't know how difficult or expensive it is to capture video of line between leaving a spin-reel spool and entering the gathering guide, but I'm pretty sure this is the only way to replace speculation and opinion with credible evidence.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: February 06, 2013 03:54PM

Phil,

As far as I know the only images/videos I've seen are the ones done by Fuji, Castaway, and Billy V. showing the difference of various guide train layouts with the same reel/line. If I had access to the equipment, I would love to give it a try testing a variety of combinations of reel/line/lure on the same blank. Otherwise, we are limited by our resources to test and compare results with what we have on hand, and pass along those experiences to the customer.

Joe

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 06, 2013 04:10PM

Phil, true data driven is always better with anything.

But we live in a competitive world.
I just cannot see somebody going to that cost and effort ( it would take weeks of work) then sharing the data with anybody.

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 07:01PM

A fishing magazine I recieve, unfortunatly, I cant remember which one, infisherman,nafc? A few months back, had still shots of line,floro and mono coming off the spool. It was incredible what it looked like. Really opened my eyes when considering builds and line types.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 07:38PM

If you really want to see what various lines with guide combos/layouts does you can quite cheaply: go stand under a tall neon light and cast.
Like in a parking lot with overhead lights.
There was one in perdido pass( gone now for almost a year) and i accidentally noticed it one night that the 50-60 cycle of florecent light was showing me all kinds of things like a strobe in a 60's disco..
Spent a many evenings doing that and even got a few bluefish and the odd red for my time as a bonus.
At least within the limits of my casting, my lures, reels and line types i know what happens.
So yes its not published, i had to judge distance cast by eyeball(my choice i could have done it on land rather and not used a real lure but there you go), and the plural of anecdotes and opinions is still not = data but you can go do it yourself just to see what is happening.
Of course how you interpret what you are seeing is a whole 'nother story.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster