I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrapper Build
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 12:00PM

Started working on my rod wrapper over the weekend. The base is 8' long, just a good straight 2x6. I ran a 1/2x3/4 strip of molding along each side, with a piece of door stop on top of that to hold the rod supports in place.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The rod supports are ripped from a piece of 1x6 fir i had lying around; they're screwed to pieces cut from a cutting board i liberated from the kitchen.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I'm trying to decide what do with the tops of the supports. I was going to use some UHMW plastic i have, but i'm not happy with how that was turning out. I'd like something a little smoother and more secure than just a felt-lined V. If i use something like skate wheels, do i need something on top to hold the blank down, or can i get by just with the wheels?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapper Build
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: February 04, 2013 12:29PM

If you're turning by hand, the top wheel is not an absolute must, but it is certainly helpful, especially if your wheel size is small or your working with larger diameter blanks. If your thread is coming from behind, you might want to consider having the center of your rear roller a little higher than the front as this will more equally split the load on the rollers and help to keep the blank in place while you turn it by hand.

If you're planning on power wrapping, that will require the third roller.

If you ever plan to upgrade from hand to power later on, I'd just go with three wheels from the start and be done with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 12:31PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 01:11PM

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 03:11PM

Or, cut your blocks into a "V" and use these magic sliders. The adhesive on them is not strong enough. I used rod bond. they work very nice.
After cutting out my notch I used the cut out piece and pushed the glider into the cut out area and clamped it with a bar clamp
Sorry, I wasn`t able to get the picture of the package. they are available at all hardware stores

Magic Slider Rectangle Slider 15/16''X4''
Sold by Sears Sears Item# SPM6026122105 | Model# 04124

$6.90 package of four

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: February 04, 2013 03:27PM

Kevin:

If your thread is coming from teh top, you will need a method of holding the blank to the rod supports. This could be a third wheel, a hair elastic of a piece of velcro. If you are going to use roller blade wheels, use soft wheels. Some of the harder ones will make a blank. Putting O-rings on roller blade wheel bearings is another option.

See [www.rodbuilding.org] for a setup that uses roller blade wheels.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.43.---)
Date: February 04, 2013 03:58PM

Hi Kevin,
Barry Thomas snr posted links to some nice wheels for wrappers, see here
[rodbuilding.org]

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 04:14PM

Home Depot
Shower door replacement wheels Several sizes With nice bearings Then go and get some Faset o rings to fit
I put tape over the bearings on the wheels so they would not move put them on a piece of scrap then on the turner and coated with several coats of permagloss over the o rings for duribility

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 04:41PM

since there is mot much weight or High RPM these should work fine

[www.savacable.com]

[www.savacable.com]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

And heres a way to add the Top Roller

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 04:52PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 04:53PM

I have been happy with these too at about $2.50 each

[www.leevalley.com]

OK wheels from scooters

Date: February 04, 2013 05:30PM

This is my stand Not pretty but works very well And fully adjustable The top wheel can be moved up or down for large handles The two on the bottom can be adjustable One is stationary One has a wing nut and can be taken off and moved into another hole for wider blanks or handles
Now has a spring instead of the rubber band on the top wheel Also adjustable
The whole unit can be moved up or down to level for finishing also
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 06:56PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

These are my current rod rests. They use a piece of cutting board for a base. Then, a vertical bar for the mounts to attach. Then horizontal aluminum bars for the roller mounts. The rollers are skate board bearings with flat bottom O rings on the bearings to shield the rod.

Plain skate board bearings work very well as well. Just put a wrap of tape at each rod rest position on the blank, to prevent marking the blank.

The advantage of having the single skinny vertical mount on the back, is that you can work very close to, or under the rod rest when wrapping. This style rest is particularly useful when working near the tip of a fine tipped rod that bends easily.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 07:33PM

Or these for Small rollers

[www.vxb.com]

Date: February 04, 2013 09:32PM

Check out the Photo Page for a LOT of ideas on home made wrappers Lots of ideas

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 06:27PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. A lot to consider. Wish i could do metalworking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster