I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static electricity in your rod blank
Posted by: Rance Keilstrup (---.sub-70-196-33.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2013 07:45PM

Just wondering if there is an easy fix to get the static electricity out of my blank. I use a lot of nylon thread, and static electricity really makes intricate guide wraps much more difficult. I do have carpet in the rod shop, and that may be part of the problem. Thanks so very much........ Rance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static electricity in your rod blank
Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 08:10PM

try a humidifier to bring the humidity in the room above 45%

Posted by: John Locke (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 08:13PM

Maybe try a humidifier or spray some antistatic in the shop. (Without getting any on rod of course) Don't know if the rods finish/paint completely insulates, but you could try a grounding strap.

Posted by: Joel Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 08:36PM

I'd never experienced it until this week when I moved from a room with wood floor to a carpeted room. Might be something to it?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 09:10PM

I gounded my wrapper aluminum bed and that helped.

Date: February 02, 2013 09:22PM

Joel Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd never experienced it until this week when I
> moved from a room with wood floor to a carpeted
> room. Might be something to it?

Maybe there's something I can spray on the carpet periodically. There has always been a little static , enough to make my nylon thread stick to the blank when I try to put it through the loop, but now it seems that every particle of everything near the blank sticks to it, and when you wipe it off, there's more on there in just a few minutes, so maybe it's building up over time.

Date: February 02, 2013 09:24PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
> I gounded my wrapper aluminum bed and that helped.

I may have to try that....... Thanks.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 10:13PM

The carpet is a big part of the problem as well as the humidity. This time of the year you probably have the heat on, which dries the room and the air. Walk across the carpet and touch the metal door handle, then do the same on the hardwood floor, unless you just got up from a chair that had a mix of nylon and some other fabfic you will get a static schock from the handle. I Think the carpet is the cuprit. Been there and done that!! :>)

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 10:41PM

I forgot to say to spray the carpet with an anti-static product. Available just about any store that carries laundry supplies. should help a lot.

Date: February 02, 2013 10:45PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
> The carpet is a big part of the problem as well as
> the humidity. This time of the year you probably
> have the heat on, which dries the room and the
> air. Walk across the carpet and touch the metal
> door handle, then do the same on the hardwood
> floor, unless you just got up from a chair that
> had a mix of nylon and some other fabfic you will
> get a static schock from the handle. I Think the
> carpet is the cuprit. Been there and done
> that!! :>)

Thanks. Your right about the heat, I did get a new heater for the shop this winter, and it runs a lot of the time right now, and every crack, and opening is sealed up , so no humidity . By march I should be able to shut it down. Until then, I think I'll try a static release spray for the carpet, I think I saw some at Madeira the other day.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 11:48PM

Rance,
The solution is very simple.
Put a humidifier in your rod building shop. Higher humidity will keep static electricity down.

Also, keep the base of a metal wrapper grounded.

You can also use one set of metal bearing rod rests, that are grounded to your metal based wrapper.
That way, any static that might try to build up on the rod, would be bled off to the metal bearing rests, and to ground through the grounded metal rod wrapper base.

Perhaps the best thing of all is to wear a wrist strip that is hooked to ground. Basically the identical wrist strap that is used by folks who work in the semi conductor industry and use the strap to bleed off any electrical energy before working with any semi conductors.

You can typically get a good earth ground from the ground plug of any electrical outlet.

[www.cmlsupply.com]

Roger

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 12:28AM

PPG DX330. When painting fiberglass panels I spray light coats between basecoats. Static electricity is an result of friction, probably from cleaning and handling. Put DX330 in a spray bottle and lightly spray complete rod blank allow to dry, then continue with epoxy. Test as usual on a scrap piece but you will be surprised as it kills static electricity.

Date: February 03, 2013 09:31AM

Thanks everyone.... I really appreciate all of the help!

Posted by: Ben Hutton (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 06, 2013 12:03AM

Everyone has already offered good advice that will probably be a more permanent solution but another option is to use a dryer sheet to remove static. I have never had issues with static while rod building but I have used dryer sheets to remove static from other objects such as pages of adhesive labels (multiple pages will stick together after printing due to static) and my plastic powder funnel while reloading shotgun ammunition. A couple of wipes with a dryer sheet works wonders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster