I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

extra long rear grips/mandrels
Posted by: Cheng Moua (12.104.244.---)
Date: February 01, 2013 09:25AM

I have a few builds that will require 17-20” rear carbon skinned grips. The customer wants full grips – he’s not a fan of the split. The blanks will be Phenix Black Diamonds.
I am not a machinist, so making my own would be out of the question right now…
So, where or can I purchase mandrels up to 24” in length?
For skinned grips, I use the heat shrink method. I’ve tried the other method and this is what I prefer.
thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extra long rear grips/mandrels
Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: February 01, 2013 10:10AM

Go to a local machine shop, request drill stock in the lenth that you need, and have them centre bore the stock. With a 24" handle, I would thnk that 26" + mandrel. with that length, get the mandrel fairly thick so that you do not get whipping when you turn it.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 10:33AM

just a thought
But
What if you make the core in two sections Then shape Then glue together on a threaded rod Block sand the area and cover
I have done this with cork and ya can't see the glue area This will also get covered

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 10:42AM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 01, 2013 11:12AM

thanks guys
i'll make some calls and see what comes up.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sub-174-237-36.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 05:04PM

Can you use a carbon Tennessee type handle?

Date: February 01, 2013 05:26PM

I'm doing what I can to steer away from the carbon tube. the customer wants something unique - and I have ideas in mind...

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 06:23PM

you can get some straightened drill rod stock from an industrial supply house like grainger. you can countersink the ends( i think thats is the right term) and thus make your own mandrel. You may also contact Lance at Swampland. I believe Lynn is still making his mandrels and can probably make you the length you need, but check with him.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 06:43PM

For that length, I would recommend that you use rod stock of at least 1/2 inch. In that size there will be little flexing with the rod.

I know folks don't necessarily advocate it, but in that 1/2 inch size, you would be totally fine with 1/2 inch hardware store threaded rod.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-253-193.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 11:45PM

If you get it from the hardware store, regardless of the type or size, roll it on the store floor, and that will give you an on-site approximation as to how straight it is.

All my mandrels have come from the hardware store. Sometimes you have to roll quite a few before you find a fairly straight one.........and in doing this, you provide cheap entertainment for the store employees and fellow shoppers!

Chris

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.113.newnanutilities.org)
Date: February 03, 2013 10:54PM

Try using an aluminum arrow for your mandrel. If all your doing is shaping foam, you don't have to spin it that fast. The arrow has an insert on 1 end that has a center cut into it, chuck up on the other end. Right now you can pick up an arrow on clearance at walmart for about 4 bucks. Carbon arrows are stronger, they probly go for around 6 bucks. Put the carbon arrow inside the aluminum and it's very strong. Tape up the arrow to fit your grips at 2 inch increments. I have never made a foam grip 20 inches long but I have made them 12 inches on aluminum arrows in a lathe with no problem. Keep the arbor as short as you can while forming the grip then make it longer for skinning it. There is no need to spin the foam grip very fast. Most arrows will be around 32 inches long. If you can't find the right sizes at wallyworld, check your local archery shop. They should be able to get you the right size aluminum and carbon arrow to build a nice arbor.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:06AM

like Roger said
You can also glue a solid blank into a scrap blank to make it stronger
Or
One scrap blank into another
I have several i use on my lath they work well

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster