I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Fly Rod Repair
Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 08:50AM

MY girlfriends grandpa dug out 3 old bamboo fly rods he had tucked away in the attick from his younger days last night. I thought to thinking that it would be a great birthday or christmas present for me to fix them up and maybe head out on a fly fishing adventure like he used to do. I've never fixed up a bomboo rod before and was wodnering if it needed any special care besides the normal guide, thread, and epoxy replacement.

I plan on taking off the guides to shine them up, put on new thread and then new epoxy. Is there anyway to clean up the varnish on the blank? or is it not worth the hassle?
I appreciate the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Fly Rod Repair
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 09:04AM

The easy way ( but carefully) is to scrap the blank with a razor blade on the flats Try to keep it as flat to the flats as possible if you want to go crazy yo can run a block with 400 - 500 sand paper on it
Once clean Check in GOOD light Check for any twist in the blank They can be fixed with some heat untwist let cool several times
Once the blank is clean you can either coat with Permagloss let dry the apply guides and finish
Or
Put the guides on wrap and then finish all at once Looks original this way No edges on the wraps
Helmsman spar works well thinned and I dribble it over a almost vertical rod
You may have to practice this

A Google search will bring up a TON of info on building them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 08:02PM

You can also strip the varnish off with a varnish stripper or a citrus stripper. Be careful not to leave it on the rod too long. You may have to do it twice, but it is very effective, with no risk of cutting into the surface bamboo fibers which are the rods strength.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-253-193.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 11:37PM

I don't know if this is something that would apply to your circumstance, but the value of desirable, old bamboo rods can be extremely affected by what you are discussing.

On the other hand, if they are no named, or he wants them redone regardless, then have fun!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 02:12AM

Jon, Before you dismantle those rods could you post a few pictures so we can have a look at what you have. You just may be doing more harm than good . If you decide to go ahead with this project please follow Bills' advice and stay away from the epoxy too.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 02, 2013 02:10PM

Glad you guys mentioned that i did not think of it
Thanks

There is also a site that deals in older boo rods They may know how much it is worth Not that thse guys will not know
[classicflyrodforum.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: February 03, 2013 11:12AM

Jon. shoot me a Pm and we can talk. Bamboo restoration/repair is a lot of what i do. I can walk you through the whole thing if you want. Just don't rip it apart yet.

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 04:02PM

Thanks for all the help! I got the rods on Sunday and have yet to open up the cases. There are three rods, which I believe are pretty beat up but I'm not to sure. I will post pictures later tonight..

Date: February 04, 2013 05:14PM

Open up the cases make sure they are dry Been in them for a long time

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:37PM

Here are a few pictures... They seem to all be "South Bend" rods, don't know much about them but doing my research they seem to be nothing to special. Would still be fun to clean them up for him, I know he would love it. They have product numbers on it, I'll make sure not to scratch those off, would varnish stripper be ok with these rods?

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster