I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 wt questions
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 09:59PM

Have not built a fly rod over a 5 wt in a long time. I am going to do an 8 wt, 9' rod. Would like suggestions.... Stripper size, runner size and reel seat? Will be used a lot from a boat, in brackish waters. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 wt questions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 11:53PM

20, 12, 5, 4, 3s to the tip. All metal reelseat, full wells grip, fighting butt of your choice.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 04:21AM

16,10,5 the remainder all minimas no need for more than 3 sizes(this is dependant on your knot sizes and allowing them to pass through the guides). I would go with a graphite seat then no worries on corrosion, lighter, and fit any reel. I would go with a carbon grip which allows you to better feel the rod than other materials.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 12:23PM

I build a lot of 8wt rods for saltwater flats. My usual lineup for the guides is 16, 12, 5, 3, 3----->. The 5 and 3 guides I use are single foot wire, or you can use double foot snake guides if you want. Make sure you use SS316 stainless steel guides if you are getting any where near salt. I use an A8 size reel seat, either all metal or with a woven graphite insert, depending on the look I want.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.215.---)
Date: January 31, 2013 07:14PM

Make it a 4 piece, you will not have a performance penalty and it will travel much better.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 07:42PM

I'm with Bob Riggins on his guide sizes, used the same set up on several 8wts. Take a look at the American Tackle AW12 or AW13 series of reel seats with the woven graphite inserts, nice light weight seat and well made. Batson also has some that are similar. I would also go with the 4 piece, they can be stored as a 2 piece also, then broken down further if you need to.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 09:13AM

I am with Bob and Bill with regards to sizing. I use titanium strippers then usually go double foot recoils for the snakes if rod will be going in and our of gunwhale rod tubes/racks. Definitely look at the 4 piece if you ever have plans for travel. What blank are you going to build up? Ton of great choices out there.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2013 10:32AM

You don't need that many sizes. You'll get a straighter line path at a little less weight by dropping the 5. But it won't make that much difference.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 11:46AM

I personally would use the double foot guides too, especially with regards to being more durable as Todd stated. I also like the TiC framed guides for the stripper and second running guide when building a rod in that line weight and length.
Tom makes a very valid point about dropping the #5 size guide and just going with 3 sizes, it may look a bit odd due to the abrupt change in size but the object is to create the straightest line path for less resistance thru the guides which will result in more distance, especially noted with saltwater casting distances, trout rods, it really doesn't seem to make much of a difference since most don't really need to cast all that far, all that often.
Bottom line, use the smallest size that will pass your connections and the fewest amount of different ring diameters for the best performance.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 09:47PM

Steve,
Please unlock your email.
Thanks,
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster