I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira thread problem
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-255-113.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 09:39AM

Hi all I am asking if anyone knows of a burnisher that works well for Madeira thread. I power wrap thread on and burnish at the same time. I find it effective and efficient. However this works well with thread size a or larger but I can't get it to work with Madeira thread using my plastic green burnisher. Any ideas? I love the color selection of this thread but if I have to spin the blank a few turns, then pack the thread, then spin a few turns, then pack... It takes forever. I think that my current tool doesn't have a sharp enough edge to pack this thin of thread. Boo!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira thread problem
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 10:32AM

Packing and burnishing are two different things! With Packing you are moving the thread to close the obvious gaps, with burnishing, you are flattening the thread slightly and creating a tighter pack.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-255-113.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 10:53AM

Ok. Sorry didn't realize the distinction in terms. Thanks for pointing that out

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 12:55PM

Mike,
Increase the tension and angle on the thread when wrapping and you likely won't have to do any packing of the thread as you wrap. Just burnish and you should be good to go.

Roger

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 03:03PM

When wrapping under power I press my thumb nail against the lead edge of the wrap.
Assuming the thread tension is correct it works flawlessly.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.159.---)
Date: January 30, 2013 05:31PM

Hi Mike,
I use a fair bit of madeira. I pack as I wrap with a plastic gudebrod tool and it works for me. I'm not using a power wrapper but wrap by hand. Do some testing on a scrap blank with different thread tension and see how it goes. I'm using the side of the tool and not the point and use a fair bit of tension.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: barry batchelor (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 05:59PM

I had the same problem. I took a file and thinned the edge of my tool and it solved the problem. I agree with you, Madera is pretty good thread and they have great color selection.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:03PM

Do it like Roger has said keeps the thread tight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:24PM

Ok that may be the problem! I use no tension as the Madeira spool doesn't fit in my pac bay thread carriage thing. I will also try putting a better edge on the burnisher. Thanks for all the input this is really helpful info

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:57PM

on your pac bay thread carriage take it off and loosen the screw that holds the thread rod. slide the rod to one side enough to hold the madeira spool. retighten the screw. it will then work fine you just cant put two spools on the carriage at once

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-227-4.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 09:07AM

I never thought I could do that! That's genius! I love this forum!

Date: January 31, 2013 09:18AM

if you want put the thread on smaller spools to fit your machine

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 08:16PM

Replace the rod with a longer one and put a spool (or spools) on each side

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.dynamic.cdma.acsalaska.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 12:34AM

First learned this trick from this site... Go to the fingernail paint section at the store and pick up orange wood cuticle pusher sticks. Fabulous for thread work. Reshape the working edge with sandpaper from time to time. They last forever. Perfect for burnishing, packing and general thread fussing around!

Date: February 01, 2013 08:53AM

I have two of them Reshaped and also bent so they fit nice in the hand

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster