I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New St Croix Legend handles
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 12:55AM

Is anyone famiiliar with the new handle that St. Croix is putting on their high end rods?
They claim that it takes about 4 days for the factory to make the handles. It appears to be a one piece split grip handle that looks very very nice and very comfortable.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New St Croix Legend handles
Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.082.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 30, 2013 04:30AM

They do look good Roger they look like they are built up resin or something like that.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:34AM

Rubbery and heavy. I do not like them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:44AM

looks like a split grip that is coated completely maybe made on the rod ??
Should not be hard to do
Shape the for and aft grips
Glue on the blank
put it on a lath and sand ( Nice) A couple of coats of Whatever Sand and finish coat
Could probably paint with different colors and then cleared

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: ernest sebastian (139.192.83.---)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:51AM

with carbon sleeve and foam we can imitate it..
just add few layer coat of black doff paint spray on it ;)

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.145.---)
Date: January 30, 2013 09:13AM

Looks like the shape is very good ergonomically for the casting rod. The bulb behind the reel on spinning rods is purely styling, in my opinion. I really don't like the looks of either, and if they are in fact heavy, I see no sense at all for them. The tapered St Croix casting grips of the past were very good ergonomically, and weren't ugly. Just a personal opinion on the style.

Date: January 30, 2013 11:16AM

I suspect that the reason that St. Croix as other rod manufacturers are doing similar things is the real difficulty in obtaining a quality cork.
In recent years, I have looked at some cork handles on some very high end commercial rods and I would be ashamed to have them on any of my custom rods.

Again, just getting really tough to get quality cork at a reasonable price for a nice rod.

Sure you can buy good cork if you want to pay $5 per ring. But if the rod sells for $250 - the builder doesn't want to burn up potential profit by spending $100 on cork for a handle.

By the same time, the builder also does not want to burn up $100 in labor to build a synthetic handle.

Roger

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 11:24AM

It's a poly foam under a heat shrink urethane covering. They have a unique way to install the heat shrink as installing the heat shrink on the foam core will cause distortion. They actually install the foam on the rod install the heat shrink and put the rod back in the oven to shrink the urethane covering to size with out distortion.

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 11:28AM

where can i see pictures of these "handles"?

Date: January 30, 2013 11:33AM

Ridge,
On the St Croix rods catalog pages:

[stcroixrods.com]

Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:05PM

Ick!

Date: January 30, 2013 10:34PM

I am trying to look at them to see if I like them or not ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 09:42AM

They have had a similar handle on their Rage series for a while now. It is pretty nice the urethane is pretty soft and grippy, but the rigid foam underneath gives a better feel than soft EVA foam in my opinion. It should be very durable

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 31, 2013 10:11AM

To my eyes, they are not very appealing. Maybe my stylings tend toward the more classic lines. That just seems like marketing-driven product differentiation gone bad.

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.226.82.166.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 12:48PM

"product differentiation gone bad."

When I got done laughing my head off, you sent me to the dictionary on that one... Well, if they are trying to stick out and be different I give em an A+.... Personally, I wouldn't want to be caught dead with that thing in my trunk.

Chuck

Date: January 31, 2013 12:54PM

Out of curiosity - for all of the folks who have negative comments about the handle, have any of you actually held one of these rods in your hand to see how it feels?

Just because the handle looks like something different from what we normally see or build does not necessarily make it bad or uncomfortable - only different.

Change happens because someone is willing to try something different.

Roger

Date: January 31, 2013 01:01PM

it would look a lot nicer in cork and a thread wrap in the middle of it

Don't you think ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 31, 2013 01:12PM

Bill,
You never know unless you try it.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As the quality of cork goes down the tubes, we as rod builders need to be innovative and come up with other solutions for handles and grips.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 01:55PM

Roger, I've toured the St Croix factory and I've held the rods. I like the bait caster and it feels as good if not better than cork, I'm not sure of the spinning rod, but I think that's a cosmetic issue.

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 07:10PM

The handles on the new Legend Xtremes are not the same ones that are on the much lower priced Rage rods. I recently ordered a Legend Tournament Bass rod; they were on a long backorder, so the dealer upgraded me (for the same price) to the same model in the Xtreme. I sent it back. The handle is hard; it has no give when you squeeze it. I'm not saying that's bad; i'm saying i didn't like it. I much prefer cork.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster