I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: sanding
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:19PM

A long time friend of mine, Ralph O'Quinn, whose products he had me do the majority of testing on before they hit the market, says to use alcohol to clean blanks!!! prior to refinishing. The same holds true for refinishing wraps or wraps that have gone too long between coats. I have done it for over 35 years on rods that someone else finished and I had to refinish due to blemishes in the wraps. The key here is to use a high grade scientific/medical grade denatured alcohol. The only time I ever had a fish eye appear was from using an inferior finish, one that had bubbles that popped during late stages of curing. No one that I know of has ever had to refinish or even re-wrap one of my rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:21PM

You might have been able to sand any Boo Boos off with 400 grit sandpaper dry and recoat
I do it and the next coat looks great

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 30, 2013 07:29PM

The key here is to use a high grade scientific/medical grade denatured alcohol

Sounds like it is cheaper to just sand wipe off and redo
That stuff sounds expensive

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:51PM

I think if you go back and ask Ralph, what he has said is to clean first, then scour/abrade. You never want to use a solvent wipe as the final step in a surface cleaning preparation. It can and often does contaminate the surface.

On a clean surface, there is no reason to use any solvent wipe, regardless.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:53PM

Bill, not that expensive at all when you consider how well it works, and I bought a 2 gallon jug years ago and still have over a gallon left. Lasts a long time since you have to use so little of it. One other point I would like to make is to never use grocery store or flowered, or scented paper towels for use with your rod building. The have more chemicals than you can imagine and do more to contaminate a good finish than just about anything but skin oil. I use Teri-Towels, also known as Teri-wipes or industrial grade paper that comes on the tan colored rolls. No scents, no contaminates.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:49PM

Tom hit it. There is little problem with cleaning with DA before sanding, but after sanding you don't want to hit the epoxy with any type of solvent.

Date: January 30, 2013 10:42PM

I sand my finish and just wipe it off dry
I have also used cheap paper towels and NEVER had a problem with them ????

For that mater -- Do you think the AIR you breath is Clean
I also use rubbing alcohol and never befor finishing i wash dry and then hit with a fine scoff pad

Guess I just live right ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 10:47PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 31, 2013 10:05AM

What Tom said... plain and simple.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 10:51PM

Sorry to add this so late but I cant find the gray pads o.ly the green ones would 400 grit sandpaper work or something higher.

Date: February 01, 2013 09:26AM

I use that all the time Lightly don't need a heavy hand

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 10:03AM

Thanks

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.180.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 03:02PM

Paul,

I have a rule of thumb when it comes to painting (epoxy) First dull the shine, clean dull with water, dry air,paint only when dry. Now If you are putting on a second coat, If it is a little tacky put second coat on,( use a plastic stick to check for tacky . NOT tacky ? Use Dull the shine.

I hope that you got it . IF not email me [email protected]

What is life without fishing ?

Date: February 02, 2013 04:42PM

I like the KISS way of doing things
prep ( however works for you )
Water break free surface -- finish Unless within the time limit Then just refinish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 08:37PM

I have used alcohol to clean sanded wraps before and ended up with a very dull finish. No fish eyes though. I now just wipe them down with a dry cloth or slightly water damp cloth.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster