I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
sanding
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 08:01PM

If I have to wait a week between coats of finish should I sand?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sanding
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 08:14PM

Yes, scuff it up with a scotch brite pad and re-coat with epoxy.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: January 29, 2013 08:22PM

Thanks

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 09:18PM

Use the GREY Scotch Brite pads...not the green ones.

Date: January 29, 2013 09:20PM

Ok. So why not the green. Just want to know.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2013 09:45PM

The green is a different strength of abrasive. It is more abrasive than the green I believe. You could probably use green on epoxy, but I would not use it directly on a blank because it may scratch it.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 10:00PM

I am not sure that sanding or scuffing is really necessary. A wipe with a cloth with some alcohol should clean the surface of any residue or dust that might inhibit bonding of the second coat. You would have to clean sanding dust with alcohol anyway, so why not save an unnecessary step. Try it on a scrap blank, both ways, and see what works.

Date: January 29, 2013 10:02PM

Thank you, I,m trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can.

Date: January 29, 2013 11:27PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not sure that sanding or scuffing is really
> necessary. A wipe with a cloth with some alcohol
> should clean the surface of any residue or dust
> that might inhibit bonding of the second coat.
> You would have to clean sanding dust with alcohol
> anyway, so why not save an unnecessary step. Try
> it on a scrap blank, both ways, and see what
> works.

It actually has nothing to do with residue or dust on the surface.

The issue is primary vs. secondary bonding. You have a certain amount of time before the epoxy fully cures to get a primary bond. That is...when the second coat chemicaly bonds to the first coat which forms a single coat just like it was all applied at one time. If that time window passes, you need to form a secondary bond. That means the top coat of epoxy has to fit like a key in a keyhole you make in the base coat. You form the "keyhole" by lightly sanding/scuffing the first coat so the second coat has something to bite into.

The grey pads have a higher grit equivalent than the green pads which help in getting a more fine scuff. Some people say the grey pads also leave less pad fibers behind than the green ones.

Also, do not clean the sanding dust with alcohol...and certainly not with acetone. Just wipe it with a clean, dust free cloth. You're really just after any pad fibers that are left behind. The sanded epoxy will simply blend in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 11:30PM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 12:45AM

What about the red scotchbrites

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 12:57AM

I have marroon colored ones. They are course grit.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 12:58AM

Paul,
As with any type multiple adhesive layers, sanding is always optional.

If you want - sand away.

If you don't - then just recoat.

Your choice.

Many many builders put multiple coats on a rod that are sometimes separated by weeks with no sanding in between.

Others who only have 10 hours between coats do a scuff coat of light sanding.

Your choice

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:38AM

Once the epoxy has passed a certain stage in its cure, it can tend to repel any additional applications and even if the second goes on well you do certainly end up with two separate layers.

The idea is to create a water-break-free surface on the first application. But don't wipe it with a solvent.

However, if the first application has been on there less than say, a week or so, none of this is critical. Beyond that, you will get better adhesion by a light scouring with very fine scotchbrite.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 07:50AM

The quickest way I could think of would be put the rod on a quick dryer Cut the pad to fit the size of the wraps As it turns just lay the pad on ( a steady rod) BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO INTO THE THREADS
Whip off with a clean paper towel
Finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 10:03AM

There is also a blue scotchbrite pad that leaves imperceptibly small scratches. Definitely do not use alcohol. I used to do this and was plagued by fisheyes. Just wipe with a coffee filter or use lightly compressed air to blow the particles away.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 10:51AM

I just repaired a rod that the previous builder had applied a second coat of finish. All of the wraps were losing the second coat (flaking off, white/delam of the 2nd coat) in various stages and it was clear that the rod had not been prepped to get a 2nd coat of finish.

If you aren't sure, a light scuffing of the first coat will help ensure good bonding of the 2nd coat. Grey pads work fine for this.

Terry

Date: January 30, 2013 11:19AM

John,
X10 on NEVER using a solvent between layers.
I made the mistake of doing this on a couple of rods and ended up stripping the rod and re wrapping due to the fish eye issue after using solvent between layers.

I also do agree with Mr. Kirkman's comment on the insurance of maintaining a water break free surface by scuffing lightly with a fine grit pad. Never hurts to be sure.

Roger

Date: January 30, 2013 12:07PM

To keep from worrying about all this...if I know I'm not going to be able to get to a second coat on in a week or more, I'll try to time my epoxy work where I can do multiple coats in one day. I've done as many as 3 coats in a days time. That may not always be possible which is where the information provided in this thread is important.

Date: January 30, 2013 12:57PM

Jay,
Another option is to use high build finish and use only one coat.
Then you don't have to worry about multiple coats.

Roger

Date: January 30, 2013 02:05PM

I messed up on the first coat on the guides had to cut them off I lost 2 of them and had to order more. I am still hopeing
the new ones will come in time to put next coat of finish on before a week has passed. They were micros and I just cant
figure out what happened to them. Thanks for all your replys.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster