I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HELP
Posted by: jim gerst (199.27.246.---)
Date: January 28, 2013 07:55PM

HELP

I am building a 7 ft. inshore rainshadow RX8. I have already glued on a 11 in. grip which puts my seat and the spool face of a symetre 3000 at about 14 1/2 in. from the rear of the rod.
Using the new concept guide system, my first high profile guide( which is a little better then half the diameter of the reel spool) lines up at 15 1/2 in. from the spool face. According to the system the first guide should be 18 in. or more from the spool. DO I HAVE A PROBLEM ? If so should I cut the grip back to give more distance?

Thank you for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP
Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 09:05PM

Jim,
The length of the grip has no bearing on the guide placement - all measurements are taken from the reel spool face, so cutting the grip back won't help. The center of the spool is the alignment point, and the top inside edges of the reduction guide rings are lined up between the spool center and the top inside of the choke guide ring (first running guide). My builds will usually fall well within the normal 18-22 inch range for the butt guide using the 27x method with reels in the 1000 to 4000 size range.

Date: January 28, 2013 09:31PM

My spool diameter is 45.50 MM * 27 = 1228.50 divided 10= 122.85 divided by 2.54 = 48.37 in. which puts my first transition guide at about 15 1/2 from the spool?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 09:49PM

Clearly there is a misunderstanding of some sort. The spool diameter determines two things. First, the location of the choker guide, and next, the size of the guide nearest the reel. You pick the size of the choker guide based on smallest knot to be passed. If you will use braid pick a butt guide on the smaller size of what is indicated....if mono go full size.

You didn't provide any info so I have to make a guess. Say your spool diameter is two inches (50.8mm). That makes your butt guide around a size 25 and your choker guide is 54 inches from the spool lip. Decide on the size of your choker guide....call it a size 4. Place it where it needs to be (54 inches) and place size 4 guide every four inches towards the tip (those will be moved later on) and use a size 4 tip top. Remove the reel's spool and tie a thin line onto the spool's axle and thread it through all the size 4 guides and tip top. Tie a light sinker/split shot on the end to maintain a little tension. Take your 25 guide and start at the reel end and slide it forward until the outside of the frame just contacts your thin line. Mark location and if it is less than 18 inches from reel's spool pick a smaller/ less height guide. Then look at remaining room between butt guide and choker and see if you need one....two....or three more guides to fill in. Place them by moving them forward until they touch the thin line as you did for the butt guide.

Only the butt guide and choker guide are fixed in stone. All other guides will be adjusted when you do a static test.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 09:54PM

That suggest a butt guide around 20 to 25 and the choker guide location at 48.37 inches from the spool's lip. Nothing in the measurments/calculations determine the butt guide's location.....other than it's size and height in relation to the choker guide's size.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 28, 2013 10:33PM

Reviewing all of this as its coming in and re reading the article on new concept I think my problem is my butt guide, its to tall !

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 11:21PM

Jim,
I would guess that your guide is just fine.
Set it at 20 inches from the reel and space out the rest for a nice rod.

Remember, the concept guide system, as any other system, is simply a starting point for a general recommendation. Tape up a set of guides, and insure that you have a guide placed and spaced such that the line has a nice flow and that it follows the contour of the loaded blank.

You will be good to go.

Roger

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 09:25AM

Using braid you can easily drop down to the size 20 stripper which will be shorter and should fall in the 18-22 zone.

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: January 29, 2013 01:17PM

Test cast the rod. Don't get hung up on dimensions. If the rod casts well and the line gets tamed properly, who cares where the butt guide ends up?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 03:22PM

Jim,

Looks like you are taking the 48.37 in measurement from the rear of the rod, not the lip of the reel spool. Take a deep breath and read the article again. :-) Russell has your measurements right on the mark.

Terry

Date: February 04, 2013 03:09PM

Thank you all for the advice, hear is what I have decided to do. I got a shorter butt guide with the same diameter which lines up almost in the center of the 18 to 24 in. space where it should. Just for kicks I hope to test cast it and try alternating the two size butt guides to see if it really makes a difference. I will try to let you all know what happens.

Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster