I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Schlesinger Wood Seminars
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2013 03:34PM

Just got off the phone with Morris. His official seminars will include basic wood turning, grip coring, lathe boring, working with EVA and "how do you...?"

He'll also be doing some mini-demos in his booth, which will include sharpening lathe tools, and anything else you'll like to see done in person. I'll have a little more information on this later in the week.

Morris suggested that folks come armed with questions. If you want to know how to do just about anything on the lathe, he'll be happy to show you right then and there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Schlesinger Wood Seminars
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 29, 2013 08:25AM

Worth the drive from Memphis just for this. Thanks Tom for getting Morris to come to the Expo again.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 02:12PM

Second on Lou A.'s accolades on Morris S.
He has cost me a lot of money :):) but I have enjoyed the last year turning everything...

Larry

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 10:12PM

Morris dances with his lathe. Here's a sample of his thorough presentation style:

Video 1: [www.youtube.com]
Video 2: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 31, 2013 10:02AM

Anyone who owns an Oneway brand lathe is indeed a serious turner. I get to use one now and then at work and I'm not sure there is an equal outside of the industrial realm. When I retire someday, I'd like to upgrade my Powermatic to an Oneway. It takes about 250 lbs of sand added to the frame of my Powermatic to be able to turn a green block of wood that size. I couldn't imagine turning that bowl blank he’s using on a smaller Jet or Delta home lathe. It would be pretty dangerous. With the bowl blank he was using, an “unballasted” Jet or Delta home sized lathe would likely walk across the floor and/or tip over from the vibration if the block didn’t shear off all together.

I recall going to a turning seminar once at the local Rockler store and they had a store employee demonstrate a large higher-end lathe and the clerk wasn’t telling people how important dampening is in a lathe. If you didn’t know better, you would leave thinking you could turn a large green block or accomplish eccentric turning on a small lathe with little concern for safety; she never really stressed the danger of doing so. Luckily, with fishing rod components, we don’t have that problem as our turnings tend to be quite small and balanced. The mini or midi sized lathes are cheap and perfect for rodbuilding needs.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2013 11:40AM

I have a Oneway. It's a great lathe, but there are several equals. The Robust lathes are at least as good. I don't need another lathe, but I wouldn't mind having a Robust American Beauty.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2013 09:43PM

Oh, I wasn't familiar with that brand. It looks like a top shelf bowl and vessel lathe for sure. 25" inboard and 60" outboard capacity on a modest size frame are impressive capacities.Thanks for the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster