I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Twist
Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2013 03:07PM

Just wondering if anyone building Ice rods and sanding the tips down has experienced tip twist after the build? I have been taking the 22" microlite blanks and only sanding the tip section a little more starting with 180-320-500-polishing cloth, then re-painting and finishing with PG. about a week after the rod has been wrapped on and epoxied the tip will twist about 90 degrees(I wrap a 001 fly guide on the tip rather then use a tip top) and its not loose because when I cut one off it was a bugger to get off. I sand it on a homemade drill press lathe. Am I getting the blank too hot during sanding? sanding at too many rpms? or maybe wrapping the tip under too much tension? for some reason I have not experienced this with the longer 31" blanks that I cut down to 28" and sand the tip in the same manner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Twist
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 03:18PM

Zachary,
Likely - all of the above.
i.e. too hot, maybe a bit too much tension. I have sanded down many rods with 0 issues.

When I do my sanding, I am spinning the blank at about 6000 rpms - really really fast. I tend to like to spin the rod very fast, use finer paper and use a very light touch when sanding.

I keep track of the blank temperature with my fingers and never let the temp rise much above room temperature.

You might just glue on the appropriate tips, rather than wrapping a guide on the tip.

There are several different vendors that now have tips of a nice large size with a 2/64th tube size that work very well for tips on these fine tipped rods.

--
The other option is to let the blanks age for a couple of weeks before doing any wrapping to let any heat induced, or sanding induced stress be relieved from the blanks before wrapping.

Roger

Re: Tip Twist
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 11:38AM

Zachary,
I was just thinking about your tip twist issue.

Since these blanks are rather inexpensive, it might be interesting to take one of the blanks that you have sanded, and put the blank in an oven on a cookie sheet for a couple of hours at about 150 degrees to relieve any stress that might be left in the resin.

I suppose that one would have to experiment a bit with the temperature to insure that all stress was relieved - without hurting the glass resin itself. I would think that if the temp were kept under 200 that you would likely be all right, but a bit of research on the thermal properties of the resin would be a good idea before trying such an experiment.

I have to think that the sanding has created heat, and that the resin re flowed a bit to put the twist into the tip. Then, over time, the resin slowly relaxed to put the twist in the tip. But I would think that a bit of reheating with no pressure on the tip would allow the tip to relax before you wrapped the rod and would then be good to go.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster