I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Solid Fly Seat for Lighter Fly Rods
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 08:08AM

Looking for a solid fly seat for rods of 4 to 6 wt. I really like the looks of Pac Bay's CL7 - channel lock all aluminum, small profile, light weight. Has anyone used this seat much?

I have grown to dis-like many of the "pretty" wood seats, as the lighter lock nuts and hoods are often more difficult to snug up and keep tight.

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Solid Fly Seat for Lighter Fly Rods
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2013 09:20AM

just go with skeleton parts with no insert. i know not many like them but i use the graphite skeletons on all my personal rods. they will also fit any reel i have found unlike some other types of fly seats.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 09:30AM

Batson makes a really nice one (RA701) in brushed silver, skeloton and carbon and black that fits up to 6wt, I use them all the time and really like them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 09:34AM by Eric Viburs.

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: January 27, 2013 09:49AM

I've used the Batson Forecast A7, it looks good and it was inexpensive, $13 CDN. It only has one locking but though, but I've never had an issue with it.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 11:04AM

Try one of the solid Lemke's

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 11:17AM

I'm with Mr. Timberlake, light, never fail performance beats pretty anytime. Use a KDPS hood and you hide the treaded area and incorporate a seamless fighting butt all in one.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 11:47AM

We all have our favorites!

Just personally, I don't like the look of graphite reel seats on a fly rod. While they work, and are light, and don't rust, they are pretty ugly and will make your fly rod look cheap. Remember, that's just an opinion, which was what was being asked for.

I've used a number of the Batson RA701 and its a very nice seat. The one for lighter rods has only 1 locking nut if that bothers you. Otherwise, it's very secure and nicely finished.

I've used the Pac Bay CL7 only once. It's a very good seat, but not as smooth and well finished as the RA701. The locking ring does not have a rubber insert either if that would bother you. It is a very well priced seat for an all metal seat. I seem to remember that the cork for it is very attractively priced.

Drew

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 12:40PM

The LC10 Lemke's have all the amenities. rubber on locking ring, liteweight aluminum and superior finish. Available in both uplocking as well as downlocking

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2013 04:00PM

I'm with Ron on the Lemke's. Great product and I like them as well as the REC's. As for the pretty wood, I turn a lot of wood as my customers like the stabilized burl I'm getting and yes, it's "pretty" but it sells. But then, I do a lot of high end Sage blanks. Sage ONE is where it's happening.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2013 11:13AM

I'll give another vote to the Lemke, REC also has some great stuff too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster