I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help selecting a good color combo for wraps
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.lightspeed.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 12:34AM

I was leaning towards Blue Marlin and silver smoke...also was considering some form of mars red and dark grey or metallic grey.

Any help or pics would be appreciated. It will go on a NFC unfinished raw graphite blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help selecting a good color combo for wraps
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 12:26PM

I've found that reds and burgundys go well on the matte grey blanks. If you want nice trim, pick a contrast color that stands out. Red and grey sort of blend into each other and it's not obvious there is trim there when it's all finished. I use white NCP a lot for trim which is a nice contrast to darker reds. If you are using solid reds (either NCP thread or red with CP) black is a good trim color as well. Sort of ties in the blank with the wrap.

Greens with white trim also rock this blank color well. Classic black with metallic red (not too much) or again white NCP make good selections. In the end, color is your own personal choice unless a customer has selected a specific color for his or her rod.

Terry

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2013 03:44PM

X2 with Terry. I've used some of those same color combinations and the work well. I've used blue with metallic red on blue TFO blanks and they look good. Dark green with gold on Sage blanks also is a good combo.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 06:29PM

I wish I could find a website with closeup photos of various wrap and trim color combinations so I could get my wife to pick out good ones. I'm color blind.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: January 27, 2013 07:58PM

G'Day Sam there is a programme called "Colour search"as the author is not a sponsor of this site I don't want to add a link .If you want I can email you the details .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.214.---)
Date: January 27, 2013 08:03PM

The first question you want to answer is do you want a showy color scheme, a classy color scheme, or a "stealth" color scheme. Sounds like you're going showy, and that combination sounds good. 'Another that looks good on graphite blanks is using candy apple red for the primary color, trim it with gold metallic. One of my favorites for a "classy" scheme is to use Gudbrod garnet or equivalent without CP, trimmed with silver metallic, or both gold and silver metallic. The garnet comes out a neat black cherry color.

Next post will show a sample.

Date: January 27, 2013 08:10PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Doesnt' show the color off that well, but if you're interested in classy, give it a try on a test wrap.

Date: January 27, 2013 08:11PM

Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 12:58AM

I kind of like the idea of that more earthy toned Mars Red in the Pro Wrap line up...(it's kind of a redish orange clay look) then using metallic black accent wraps over the mars red on the guides. The inscription being reversed...except just regular black as the primary with Mars Red over the top. Just can't decide if this color would look better with regular nylon color preserved or color fast thread without preserver...??

I would like the Red to darken very slightly and have a shiny appearance. I'm not a builder I'm just trying to get the right colors for the rod my builder is doing.

What do you guys think would best achieve this end result?

thanks

Posted by: David Boyle (---.lnse2.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 28, 2013 01:45AM

Here is an online Guide Wrap Colour Combo Tester:
[www.tightwraps.com]

regards
Dave Boyle
www.threadcentral.net

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 02:30PM

Sam,
Enlist the aid of a decorator or an artist. Folks in these line of works have a very good color sense. They can give you some very good advice on color selections.

Roger

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 29, 2013 12:02PM

I suggested this in another post a while ago, but taking the blank to a paint store to have it scanned and matched with suggested color combinations can provide many interesting color combinations one might never consider trying. The numbered paint samples that match the suggestions can be used to match up your thread. You still have to consider the effects of color preserver, no color preserver, finish, metallic threads, etc. but you have unlimited access to professional color matching literally at your fingertips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster