I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stradic CI4 Thread Color Match
Posted by: Tom Bjornsen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 10:12AM

Greetings,
New here, and am just getting started down this obsession.
I am sure I will have other questions, but the first one is as follows;
I bought this;
ProWrap ColorFast 100yd Size A - 850 Storm Cloud
from Mudhole in an attempt to match the color of the body of a CI4 Stradic, and it seems a little light.
Has anyone here ever tried to match that color?
I think i hit the burgundy color right on the nose, but the graphite not so well.
Thanks in advance,
I'll try not to be too much of a pest!
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stradic CI4 Thread Color Match
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 11:20AM

Tom,
Take the reel with you - along with a bottle of denatured alcohol to a rod building shop.

There, you can take a bunch of different colored threads, wrap them on a dowel and wet them with Denatured alcohol. The wet thread, if not using color preserver will be very close to the final color of the finished thread.

Just keep changing until you get the color combination that you want.

By the way Tom, since there are so many hues of colors and fewer hues of thread colors, you are often better off doing your rod wrapping with a nice contrasting color - rather than trying to make a perfect match. You can have a rather large variety of contrasting colors that will look very nice with another color. But if you are trying to make a perfect match, there is only one color that will make that match.

I just had that exact problem on a rod that is currently being built. i.e. I wanted a thread to match the blank. But finally gave up when it was suggested to me to make the thread contrasting - rather than matching. Very pleased with the overall effect.

Good luck
Roger

Date: January 26, 2013 11:55AM

Roger,
Thank You very much for the time of your reply.
I will do a search, but i do not know of a rod building shop anywhere near me here in Virginia.
That is why it was so difficult to match against the catalog or the pics on the web.
I'll probably try what I have, or maybe order a couple of other colors and see if IU can get closer, unless someone here comes back with "I had a client want that exact thing, and I used __________..."
And, there is always the possibility that I am already overthinking this!
;-)

Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 12:13PM

You will probably have to find several colors that May match and try them on the butt of the rod where the handle will go

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.128.---)
Date: January 26, 2013 05:06PM

Tom,

Where you at in Virginia? I am near GMU. I would be happy to help you get started and teach you everything I know about building rods the wrong way.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 05:19PM

If you think the storm cloud looks a little light, you may be in luck, a lot of the time when I put the finish on NCP thread it darkens up a bit, especially if its on a darker blank. Like has been said before, its best to try test wraps with finish before committing to any colors. Good luck!

Date: January 27, 2013 12:15AM

Thanks Guys!
I'm liking it here... seems like a nice community that is eager to help!

And yes, it is a darker blank, so you may be right.
And as Roger said a little contrast instead of an exact match would probably be better, especially if I hit the nail on the head with the burgundy.
Do metalic threads, as oppossed to non-metalic, darken more under finish?
Or Visa Versa?

And Dan,
I might just take you up on your offer. by GMU do you mean George Madison University?
I travel the whole state for work, but get up in that area a bit less than others...
I'm down in Charlottesville...
Tom

Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 05:04PM

I haven't noticed a change in the tint of metallics after finishing until it starts to yellow.

Posted by: Tom Bjornsen (---.sub-70-192-231.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2013 01:54PM

Jeremy Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't noticed a change in the tint of
> metallics after finishing until it starts to
> yellow.

Thank You,
That is very helpful!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster