I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying Motor Speed
Posted by: Ken Gasior (---.ykwc.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 08:04PM

The motor I use for both applying and drying guide wrap finish finally gave out on me and I need to replace it. It turned at about 38 RPM which seemed to do the job - but then again, it's the only one I've ever used and I'm not that experienced. When I started looking for a replacement motor from the verious rod building supply vendors I become immediadely overwhelmed by the variations in motor speed that are available. In delving into the issue further, I'm learning that a faster speed - say 22RPM is better for thread finish application and a slower speed - say 4RPM is better for drying. Can someone out there help lead me in the right direction? Is there a "happy medium" turning speed that will provide a good quality thread coating? Does the low RPM drying speed make that big a difference in the final look of the finished wrap? Thanks,

PS - Any suggestions you can make on a motor and source would be appreciated.

Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying Motor Speed
Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 08:22PM

Ken, i use a rotisserie motor off a old grill. Work fine

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2013 09:02PM

18 RPM is an excellent all around drying motor speed. It tends to work well with just about any finish viscosity.

I don't use one, particularly for applying finish, but many do. Ralph O'Quinn uses a 200 RPM speed for applying finish with a spatula. Obviously, you wouldn't want to dry at that speed. I suspect most turn by hand for applying the finish, and then switch over to a drying motor from there.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 09:28PM

I have 2 driers and they both work just fine for application and drying. One is 18rpm and the other is 36rpm. I use the 36 rpm most of the time because I like to apply finish with the drier turning. When I have 2 rods or need to do separate pieces at the same time, I use both. The 36 rpm helps me get better lines. It doesn't cause uneven finish or any other problems even with light build finish. I purchased both motors from an @#$%& website for very cheap and they run smooth and true.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 09:47PM

Tom Is absoolutely right!! 18 rpm's is without a doubt the best speed for drying and if you wish to use it for applying finish it would work admirably .

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 10:22PM

Ken Unhide your Email

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 10:33PM

Ken,
The best solution is to use a variable speed motor - one that runs from 0 to 50 rpm.
Then, set the dial to the dryer speed motor that works best for you.

Hundreds of thousands of rods have been dried at speeds ranging from 4 - 10 rpm.

4 rpm is about as slow as you want and when you get above 15 rpm, it is possible to start slinging finish and start to cause finish footballs to form.

But different finish can work with different speeds.

If you get a dc gear motor and a variable power supply, you can set the speed to what ever you want.

For example:
[www.surpluscenter.com]

If you power this motor with 24 volts dc, you will turn at 16 rpm.
If you power the motor with 12 volts dc, you will turn at 8 rpm.

If you power the motor at 6 volts dc you will turn at 4 rpm.

Good luck
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 10:36PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 11:09PM

I used an old rotisserie motor that runs 2rpm.... Works well for me... never had an issue

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2013 08:09PM

Ken

I am fortunate to have a variable speed dc motor (salvage from a water treatment plant) that will give me speeds from about 6rpm to 100rpm. I dry at the slowest possible speed i can dial in, and apply finish at somewhat faster speeds, maybe 30-60rpm. The slow drying speed works well for me.

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster