I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

snake skin ???
Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 06:11PM

have a customer who killed his own copperhead and wants to use the skin on the rod,i have never worked with SS,so my questions will be many in the coming month.for starters,how should the skin be treated,or not,to prep it for install,second,will the head be usable??the customer is going to do the prep work,i just don't know what to tell him.any and all answers are greatly appreciated,thanx,Spike

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: snake skin ???
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:38PM

You might need to do a Google search for that info, most Skins I've used came Tanned

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:52PM

i have tanned some and used them including copperhead. go to Tandy or some of the taxidermy sites and you will find some stuff to tan it. I skinned it and put it on a board stretched out with the solution on it. after it dries you will need to soften it. I used neatsfoot oil and it worked good to soften the skin and make it easy to work with. i then had to lean it with denatured alcohol to get rid of the oil which will repel epoxy finish. i hope this helps

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:56PM

I bought a skin at one of the ICRB's with the head still attached and I'm still noodling on how to use the skin with the head. Maybe work out a hook keeper in the mouth somehow. Still thinking on that one.

You got good advice. Go tanning!

Terry

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 08:13PM

I used a snake skin that my son killed. I just stretched it out and put borax only on the inside. Left it for a couple days and wiped the borax off. When I used it on a rod I wetted the skin with water to soften it so I could wrap it onto the blank and used color preserver to adhere it. Color preserver, then epoxy. If you soak the piece of skin, the scales come off. I did one without scales and one with scales. They both came out fine, even though I totally winged it! I don't know how you're "supposed to" do it.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Date: January 25, 2013 08:37PM

awesome advice guys,keep 'em coming

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 09:31PM

Mike Barkley made a rod with the head in front of the reel seat if my memory is correct. It looked like it was swallowing the rod. Email him. He may have a picture of it. Really cool looking. May not be practical for fishing with though.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.cov.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: January 27, 2013 11:28PM

Chris,

Go to armbreakercustomrods.com (Florida) and you will see so much "unique" fishing equipment your head will spin like Linda Blair's did in the EXCORCIST . . .Beautiful creations - and one with a Rattlesnake's head too!

The snake skin should definitely be tanned with no oils of any kind in or on the skin. Will "bite" you in the butt sooner or later.

Charlie

Posted by: John Pope (50.58.79.---)
Date: January 28, 2013 10:46AM

When you go to put the skin on the rod I would suggest painting the area under the skin white. The copperhead skins are so thin they are almost translucent and you will loose a lot of the pattern if put over a dark blank. You could also use white or metallic thread. If a more muted color is desired then don't worry about it. You can see one I did here. [s40.beta.photobucket.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 03:52PM by John Pope.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 01:06PM

John, you may want to delete that photo from the forum and post it over on the photo page. You can link to the photo from the forum, but Tom asks to not post pictures here. Just a heads up.

Date: January 29, 2013 03:03PM

thanks alot guys,i think i got my head wrapped around the curing process,we will see when the skin gets in my hands.at least the customer is doing the curing so if it won't work i wont be responsible

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster