I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

European Surf Casting
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 08:07AM

When I surf cast I place the reel in the low position then slide the reel seat up the rod to a position of comfort and better fish fighting capabilities. I have used butt extensions to acheive a more comfortable position and have rigged the reel seat so a clamp will go over the seat to hold it in place. Im always looking for better ways of accomplishing the sliding seat position . Any suggeations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: European Surf Casting
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 10:02AM

Common practice among surf casters on Long Island, NY is to forego the use of any reel seat.
Instead they simply bind the reel to the rod with electrical tape.
This enables them to reposition the seat easily as needed when changing the weight of whatever they're throwing.
Casting dynamics are easily optimized this way.
They usually wrap the butt with cork tape, rubber tape or cord.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 10:56AM

Maryann:

How much more distance does the low reel position produce?

Date: January 25, 2013 01:25PM

Great idea Dave but that technique does not allow me to Slide the reel from low to high position Phil form what I read it does increase the distance but it is contingent on many other factors. For me ,I like how the rod balances in the low position.You can use your right hand more effectively with out holding on to the reel and personally I think it gives more distance. I cant swear to this but it would seem your using more of the rod in a more "powerful" way.???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 01:29PM by Maryann Cohen.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: January 25, 2013 01:44PM

How about something like this [www.rodbuilding.org]. Once the cast is complete. Loosen, move then tighten. Move down for the next cast.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: January 25, 2013 02:00PM

beautiful work! some thing to consider

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: January 25, 2013 02:13PM

This is an old Philpson reel seat. I don't know if there is a modern equivalent. I looked at the concept for a spin/fly rod build.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 03:06PM

A cast occupies a few seconds of my time. It seems that changing the reel's position provides comfort during these seconds, after which the reel is again moved for more comfort.
I think I would rather suffer a few seconds of discomfort during the cast rather than suffer the annoyance (and discomfort) of loosening, sliding, an re-tightening the reel seat twice for each cast.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 03:33PM

you can make the same type of seat buy cutting out a square section of a spin seat
The whole idea is when the reel is tightened up the feet press agenst the handle and it stays put

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 04:12PM

Would two fixed reel seats work? Just an idea...

Date: January 25, 2013 06:08PM

it works John but it doesn't look very pretty

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 06:39PM

Here is an approach that is effective and looks good.

[www.soniksports.com]

Take a close look at the handle detail.
It is shown fully extended, extended about one inch and closed.

If it is something that you wish to pursue, I'm sure there are more ways than one to accomplish the task. One approah would be to buy a Conoflex captive reducer. Or you could have them equip one of their blanks, such as a Nemesis

[www.conoflex.co.uk]

1/4 turn unlocks the extension, you slide it into position, and then lock it with another 1/4 turn.

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 06:45PM by Donald Becker.

Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 07:41PM

Are you looking for something like this?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 26, 2013 06:05AM

have that Jim thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster