I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions?
Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 08:20PM

Hey Guys,

I'm lookin to build a personal rod for throwing 4-5 in. Tubes

I like the 6'8 or 6'9 lenth MH F/XF rods I've fished. I like to build the rod around the Reel persay. It's a Sustain 2500. be using 8-10 pnd. Fluoro.
I'd like to keep the blank around 100$ or so so I can put better componants on it and not break my budget. Of coarse keeping it light as possible.

Any Suggestions welcome

Thanks Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions?
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 08:46PM

I am a big MHX fan..... I would build on the HM-MB843-MHX .... my 2 cents

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 25, 2013 12:03AM

Hi Rick,
The high modulus MHX blanks are really good value for your dollar. I've built on the blank that Don suggested and it's very nice and very light. Mines built with a cork spilt grip, micros and a CI4 Stradic 4000. Might be a bit heavy for what you want. You could go to the HM-SJ841 or 2 MHX. All under the $100. Give Todd Vivian a call at Mudhole and he will set you straight for what you need. You also get the great transferable warranty.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 11:02AM

Hi Rick,

Give the new American Tackle Bushidos a look. They are one of the finest blanks on the market and have been over looked by many but we are seeing a large number of elite builders switching to this new line. The feedback we are receiving is that they are a step above and beyond and what they have used before. They offer a technique specific selection of light weight performance & durability oriented blanks with aggressive pricing. Might look at our SB69/6-10, or SB69/10-15 (for a heavier model). We also have several other styles such as Spin Jig etc. offered in 6’ 8” lengths.

[www.americantackle.us]

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 12:03PM

The Batson RX8 XSB802.75 and XSW68MX are very nice 6'8' MXF blanks. For guides I'd suggest Pac Bay Minima4 guides that many of the top builders on this site use for light weight, reasonably priced guides. Utmost Enterprises has great service and generally offers discounts off MSRP and they can also get the MInima4's for you.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 12:54PM

Rick,

Like Don said, I would lean toward a 1/4-3/4oz. mag bass blank. When you start adding lead to those larger tubes, they get pretty heavy pretty fast, and the blanks with softer tips won't crawl them through cover as easily as the mag bass blank. I love the RX8+S823 for tubes up to 4" with less than 1/4oz. of lead, but beyond that I reach for a 1/4-3/4oz. mag bass blank. I would consider either trimming an MB843 from the butt or extending an MB783 a couple inches if the total length is critical for you.

Another option would be a slight tip trim on the 802.75, but check multiple times before you cut, because it won't take much of a trim to kill one of those blanks.

Joe

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 05:19PM

Rick,
give me a call here at Mud Hole and I can set you up with the perfect MHX blank to fill your needs. The MHX line (over 300 models) has application specific models for virtually every need.

Regards,
Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 09:33PM

You might want to contact Alex D. at Hydra also. I have built several and they are really good blanks, high mod, super light and strong, Made in U.S.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 10:15PM

along with the MHX blanks mentioned above I'd take a look at the Lamiglas XMG 50 popping blanks, LP843 and 844. I built an XMG LP842 for 3" tubes and it's super light, sensitive, and very fast actioned. I'd also take a good look at what Phenix has to offer in the UMBX line, which also a very light and very sensitive line of blanks.

If you want "better components" like you mentioned don't even consider minima guides. Don't get me wrong, they are decent guides and good for a budget build when you want to save $$. Titanium framed SiC or alconites are the way to go IMHO.

Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2013 06:56AM

Thanks for the feedback fellas

I have a MHX 7'3 mh f micro casting rod a guy made for me a few years ago that I really like to fish. Are the high mods that much better? This was made on the regular MHX and is pretty light and sensative!!

David I keep trying to look up Hydra blanks with no luck. Could you possibly e-mail me the number or web site?

I'll definetally check out the XMG to thanks Matt!!

Thanks again Rick

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2013 09:42AM

Rick,

Alex is still working on the revamp to his site. You can get ahold of him at the following email and phone number. He's a great guy with some very nice blanks.

Contacting Us while the new site is under construction:
We're still available while the website is being upgraded! Please email us at info@hydrafishing.com or call us at 803.645.5392.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster