I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Wrapper
Posted by: Jared Retter (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 01:09PM

I have searched all of the wrapper threads and could not find an answer so here I am. One of the members posted about the power wrappers and warned to get one that would allow you to back up the blank by turning it back if the thread rides up itself and needs adjusted. Does the mudhole wrapper or Alps wrapper allow you to do this? Thanks, this hand wrapping is very time consuming!
Jared Retter of Riverhouse Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapper
Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 01:34PM

You can turn all of them backward by hand but if you have to backup that far you will probably have to wind thread back onto the spool by hand turning the spool. The Renzetti has a thread tension spring that will allow you to slightly reverse the rod direction while maintaining tension on the thread without turning the spool. It won't wind thread back onto the spool.

Don

Date: January 24, 2013 01:42PM

Thanks Don! The mudhole guy made it sound like you had to flip a belt off each time to back it up any, would be a pain! Anyone have a preference to either the alps or the mud hole (pac bay i think)

Posted by: Joel Smith (---.newton.k12.ga.us)
Date: January 24, 2013 01:50PM

I just purchased a Mudhole wrapper to go along with my old hand wrapper and no, you do not have to remove a belt to manually turn the rod in reverse.

Posted by: Corey D. Magill (---.br.no.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 01:56PM

I have the Pac bay and you do have to turn the spool to wind the thread back on, but you do not need to take the belt off. FYI, get an extra belt to keep around if you go with the mudhole wrapper.

Date: January 24, 2013 01:59PM

Thanks Joel and Corey!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:07PM

I can't give you an accurate assessment of what the others require as I don't own them, but the Renzetti can be back-wound, without removing the belt, and will take up any thread slack for a length of perhaps 4 inches of thread. Depending on the diameter of your blank, that may be a very few revolutions, or it could be quite a few.

Posted by: Garey Elkins (64.19.254.---)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:09PM

I turn my Alps w/upgraded chuck backwards when I cross up. Solid thread wraps go on quick, but if you plan on doing thread inlays, I don't think it is that much better. But I am also a novice on a power wrapper. I do a lot of Tiger/Throop wraps and it makes up a lot of time there. And getting razor finish edges are easier while turning.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:12PM

Over the years I've seen a few methods for keeping line under tension as you unwrap a few turns to correct a thread. Most employed a section of flexible fiberglass rod tip and a guide or tiptop mounted in a way to allow the thread under tension to bend the blank as it is power wrapped. When an overlap happens, and you turn the rod in reverse, the rod tip straightens out maintaining some or most of the tension in the thread. Of course, if the tip is bent only 3-4 inches then that is all you can undo.

I recall seeing one done on a very flexible longer section of tip a while back that when wrapping had the blank bent into a upside down J or almost an upside down U if you can picture this. I think that design could unwrap 10-15 inches of thread and maintain decent tension. To me, somewhere in-between those two extremes would seem about right.

One of the simpler set-ups used a open metal hook, bent like a corkscrew with just one turn. In the base of the hook was drilled a small hole that fit over the rod tip like a tip top. The user could just lay the thread into the hook without having to thread it through a closed circular guide - this seemed much more convenient to use.

I've never used one personally, but was considering something like that on my new wrapper build.

One person I am friendly with tells me he uses the rod tip held in his hand to guide the thread angle as he wraps it instead of moving his whole thread carriage along. Depending on your physique and dexterity this may be helpful or just slow you down - it seems like that would be a personal preference kind of thing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:22PM

When I am doing a long underwrap i set the tension - wet my hands and just do a dog paddle on the blank to make things go faster Laugh it works

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bobby stout (---.160.redriver.army.mil)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:42PM

John my wrapper is just as you discribed, i use magnets to apply the tenson and the rod end bends and will allow me to unwrapp several turns. If i have to back up several turns i just turn the thread spool with my hand keep it tight and then it is ready to go.

Roger Wilson ( a great guy) just help me up grade my wrapper with a DC motor that will reverse with just a flip of a switch it is great as a novice i have several opiturnities to use the reveres switch. (lol)

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 04:07PM

I can't imagine wrapping without a "spring" tensioner.
I use a piece of thin fibreglass tip section with a ceramic tip top glued on.
There is an arm coming up from the wrapper that it is fastened to with 2 plastic wire ties, and it is about 8" long.
I can see where a longer one might work better if you had to back up some distance.
And a larger ring in the top would help getting the thread thru.
Mine is a sz 08 ring, a 10 might be easier.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: January 24, 2013 04:21PM

This is what I use A simple spring for tension
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Just make sure it is SMOOTH so as not to cut the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 09:56PM

When I built my wrapper i used a piece of spring steel... its a lot like a springy piece of piano wire. You can find it at hobby lobby

Date: January 24, 2013 11:43PM

Bill,
looked at some photos of yours, are you using decal connection or printing your own?
Thanks!

Date: January 25, 2013 08:52AM

decal connection / Pentel Hybrid Roller ink pen / and a dip pen
Got my name decal on two sheets one gold one silver seems to take care of most all colors of rod blanks
When I wright on a blank I heat the ink then mist with clear laquer 2 - 3 times Let dry and finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 10:23AM

I have a PacBay RW3-XL which if you look is the same as Mudhole, ALPS, and American Tackle power wrappers other than name on the decal.

You can back it up all you want to, but you must back the thread spool at the same time. Not a big deal once you get used to it, I do it without even putting thought to it anymore.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 01:53PM

Jared,
Here is a recent DC power unit that I built for a power wrapper:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you have to back up a great deal, simply flip the reversing switch, hold the thread tight and back as far as you want. Put the thread back in your tension device, flip the switch and you are off running again.

This system uses a DC gear motor so one uses 1:1 pulleys to drive the chuck of the power wrapper. Very simple and compact unit.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 03:18PM

If you will go to my Photo gallery you will see a thread tensioning method that will allow you to back up the distance your lathe is off the floor. It also allows you to set and keep a constant tension on your thread. That set up is easy to make and is on a Renzetti Lathe, but I have put it on all of my lathes. If you need more of an explanation and can't find the associated post send me an E-Mail and I will try to help.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2013 04:03PM

Jim is this the photo you're referring to? [www.rodbuilding.org] How much weight is that?

BTW,Ii never get tired of looking at the baby dragon, you should sell posters of that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 04:20PM by John E Powell.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster