I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas blanks?
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 01:55AM

Hey guys couple of questions here...I'm considering doing a spinning build on a Lamiglas blank. I had a Lamiglas factory casting rod once built on a IMP 844 popping blank, which was rated 8-17 pound test. It was fairly sensitive for a mod-fast taper, but I did have trouble getting hooksets the one time I fished it, not sure if it was the taper or the power...?

Anyways I'm looking to do a build and was considering the IMP 844 with a 4" piece of grapite inserted into the butt to add backbone to the rod. How much would this help with hooksets? Being so far down in the blank would it help with hooksetting power or would it be too far down in the butt section to speed up the action.

I'm also considering the DTIMC84-M, which I think they use to use in their certified pro rods as a worm and jig special...it's rated for 10-20 pound test and has a slightly larger tip and butt than the IMP 844, but weighs almost the exact same. And in my experience Lamiglas rods tend to come in lower than their stated line lure ratings.

Anybody with any experience with the DTIMC84-M, would it work for a medium duty spinning rod? And is it faster actioned than the IMP 844?

I'm also looking at the new Infinity bass INF 843, but no one has them in yet...anybody built on one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas blanks?
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:27AM

Here's the link for the INF 843 at Mudhole.

[www.mudhole.com]

I'm not familiar with bass rods.
However, I dropped off an IS 120 2MH at a tackle shop and it was sold before I left the shop. This blank did have a fast recovery.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 06:49AM

why not go with a different blank? if you want a popping blank the xmg is faster or go to a spin/jig or mag bass blank which will have faster tips and should help with hooksets. extending that blank(if that is what you are proposing) will speed it up. if you have that blank then you can mock it up and see if that is the action you want

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 07:26AM

I concur with JP, look at the Lamiglas XP844.

Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 10:45AM

The rod's power is not the only factor in hooksetting. If you use a flexible rod, coupled with a large hook, using mono, there is not much power at the hook point. I have no problem hooking bass to 5 lbs on a ML steelhead rod with 6lb mono. The difference is with that setup, I use a no. 2 hook. If you are fishing a 3/0, 4/0 hook for example, you will either need a rod with more backbone, or a rod with some length to generate speed at the hook point.

Just my humble opinion. Always found it interesting that bass fishermen need a 4/0 hook and 65lb braid to catch a 2-4 lb fish.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 24, 2013 10:59AM

John, its a mouth size thing that large hook with LMB.
With a bigger hook even if the fish almost instantly opens his mouth again as he detects what he took is wrong, you still have a shot at getting him. Especially if he is facing away or at an angle from you on the take.
Now add a little trailer 2 hook to that 4/0 and it will many days catch 80% of your fish.
Go figure.

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 11:13AM

the Lami XMG Popping model "LP844" is the blank you are looking for.

I have built a few spinning rods on these blanks. It has plenty of backbone with a extra fast nice soft tip. A great power finesse blank.

I have PRO844 & PRO842's on order from the new Pro X line. Hopefully will have them in a few days.

I haven't tried the infinity bass yet but plan to.

Date: January 24, 2013 11:39AM

john backos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The rod's power is not the only factor in
> hooksetting. If you use a flexible rod, coupled
> with a large hook, using mono, there is not much
> power at the hook point. I have no problem hooking
> bass to 5 lbs on a ML steelhead rod with 6lb mono.
> The difference is with that setup, I use a no. 2
> hook. If you are fishing a 3/0, 4/0 hook for
> example, you will either need a rod with more
> backbone, or a rod with some length to generate
> speed at the hook point.
>
> Just my humble opinion. Always found it
> interesting that bass fishermen need a 4/0 hook
> and 65lb braid to catch a 2-4 lb fish.

I'm a finesse fisherman...and have never used a 4/0 hook for anything unless it was already on a big jig, and I rarely if ever fish jigs over 3/8 of an ounce. And no, I don't use braid either. I strictly use 8-12 pound test fluoro from the high end manufacturers. You may have some kind of point here, but it was not the problem for me. I actually like the mod fast taper to protect the lighter lines I use, but it's a double edged sword because they're not as sensitive as fast and ex-fast rods for finesse work. I usually go with lighter powered fast actioned rods...was just throwing the idea out there.
and btw I catch fish way bigger than 2-4 pounds on my bass gear.

Date: January 24, 2013 11:48AM

No offense intended. My point merely is to state that each situation is different and all factors must be taken into account. The rod acts as part of a system, and not on its own. The entire system must be tailored to the conditions at hand. The information you provided in your last post clarifies what you were asking.

Peace.

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 01:15PM

john backos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just my humble opinion. Always found it
> interesting that bass fishermen need a 4/0 hook
> and 65lb braid to catch a 2-4 lb fish.

Not beat a dead horse, or fuel disagrement....But when tournament money is on the line and that 4-5 pound largemouth dives down into 15 pounds of clumped up hydrilla mat, stumps, trees, and mess they call home. You find out real quick why light wire hooks and 8 pound test won't work here.

Date: January 24, 2013 02:05PM

15 pounds of weeds, really? Anyway just to keep the subject alive, carp fishermen across the pond routinely catch fish upwards of 20 lbs on hooks as small as 8's. I had a snapping turtle with a shell diameter of about 14 inches on 8 lb mono with the drag tightened down and he was covered in all sorts of weeds and was still able to land him from shore. Also, from shore numerous bass 4-5 lbs on 6 lb mono with a steelhead rod on a weed-choked pond.

I suspect that the reason that tournament bass fishermen want to be able to lift the fish into the boat, weeds and all to save time, hence the reason for the huge hooks and 65lb line. If a net is used, you would be surprised how large a bass you could catch on light tackle.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:35PM

I have seen them many times bring in a 4 lb fish and had to FIND it after ripping off all the weeds that came with it

For all that money -- hand granades might work Doooo

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 24, 2013 06:40PM

Thanks guys. To the above poster, no offense was taken. I think the same thing all the time when I see bass fisherman boat lift fish. I would never boat lift a fish with a NFC custom I have $450 in. I had a talk to Todd Vivian, and have decided neither of these blanks are a good fit for what I would do. I will look at the Infinity bass rods when they hit mudhole. But will probably get another NFC...no point in messing with something that's working for me.

I toyed with the idea of trying a Batson...I'm sure they're good blanks, I just haven't had luck with Asian rolled blanks in the past, but who knows I'm pretty fickle I've got a few weeks to change my mind; 5 or 10 times. ha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster