I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
removing grip from mandrel
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:14PM

I am in the process of building my first birch bark grip. I used a threaded rod for a mandrel. Glued up the bark circles with Elmer's Wood Glue. It's been sitting for a few days.and Now I cannot remove the grip from the mandrel. I just tried heating the mandrel with a tourch with no result. Any ideas what I might try. The glued and compressed circles make up 4 inches. HELP!! Should not have used a threaded rod.

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing grip from mandrel
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:23PM

Hm, well you might try drilling a hole in a piece of wood just large enough for your threaded rod to fit through, then use a vise or press and push the wood against the grip material to see if you can dislodge it. You could also try hitting the end of the rod to try to drive the rod through your grip (supported on the other side by the wood).

Date: January 23, 2013 06:36PM

Yeah, I already tried knocking the mandrel loose. I put a 1/2 inch thick piece of pressed wood over the end of the mandrel to protect it and hit it a few times, very hard, with a hammer and drove the mandrel through the wood. I did wax up the mandrel and the washers. The washers did not bond to the birch, so I'm thinking the glue still got into the threads. I thought the heat would work and I'll try that again. I think boiling it will ruin the birch if it did anything at all.

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:51PM

Have you tried screwing it off? I had a section of birch bark glued onto a threaded rod recently, that I thought was stuck; it wouldn't budge when I tried sliding it off the rod; but then I tried unscrewing it, and it took some pressure at first to dislodge it enough to where it began moving along the threads but it worked with no damage to the bark section. Just took a few minutes longer. But yours may be stuck worse than mine was - I had a lot of mandrel wax on the rod, and the section of bark was only a little over 1" in length.

Date: January 23, 2013 06:58PM

Hey, that sounds promising. I'll see what I can do. First I'll need to figure out a way to secure the rod so I can use a lot of force turning the birch. I can only think of a vise. Don't care if I riun the end of the rod, it's too long(2ft) anyway.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 07:04PM

Since you used athreaded rod
Try loosening one of the nuts and tighten the other
Sounds like you used to much glue But this some times works grab one end with a good pare of pliers and tighten the other

Or even grap with the pliers and - Unscrew like said

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 07:05PM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 23, 2013 07:22PM

Hey Walt! Great advice. Slapped it in a vise and it unsrewed by hand. Slick as Aunt Millie's skin cream! Thanks, Walt.

Date: January 23, 2013 07:23PM

I think you're right Bill, I used a ton of glue.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 07:30PM

Since metals contract more than the birch bark and the glue, you might put the mandrel and grip in a freezer for 24 hours or so. Then remove the mandrel quickly to a vise and twist the grip. It should break loose. You can use a threaded rod, but it needs a thick coating of paraffin wax before gluing the rings together on the mandrel.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 07:50PM

You have it off, but if you encounter a similar situation, try this, put one end of the rod into the chuck of your electric hand drill and use the drill to turn the rod. Works every time for me.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 07:52PM

I chuck the rod up in my drill and hold onto the grip and let the drill screw the rod out.

Date: January 23, 2013 07:55PM

Thanks Don. That'll will be a lot easier. See you at the Branch meeting if not before.
Harry

Date: January 23, 2013 07:56PM

Thanks, Phil. That will work a lot better next time.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 08:18PM

Nest time use a release agent on the mandrel and you shouldn't have such a problem. a Teflon spray will work wonders.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 09:05PM

Or, use teflon plumbers tape.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 09:20PM

if all fails get a welder [ electric ] an heat the rod up as you will be removing the center of the grip an you will sand it out to fit the blank , , the welder tkraws pipes that way an it will work the
metal rod will get very hot an will not burn the grip

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 12:17AM

If the handle is SECURELY glued together you can utilize a rubber strap wrench to securely grip it. Before attaching the wrench run a couple of taps/nuts down the rod close to the handle. Tighten them up to each other, apply the strap wrench to the handle, and use a regualar wrench to turn the jam nut. With two wrenches you should have decent leverage to pop it free.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 09:38AM

Harry Bell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Don. That'll will be a lot easier. See you
> at the Branch meeting if not before.
> Harry

I am looking forward to it Harry.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 09:40AM

Harry,
I use threaded mandrels all of the time.
I always use an electric drill to unscrew the mandrel.
Much easier to unscrew a thread mandrel, than a smooth mandrel.

After unscrewing, simply use a drill do drill out the interior of the bore of the handle to begin the reaming for the blank.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 09:50AM

get yourself some regular Rod Bond You do not need much at all I put three dabs on a ring Slid the next one onto it turn about eight times Then the next ring never had a handle break or stick to the threaded rod

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster