I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single foot recoil fly vs single foot chrome
Posted by: Ben Elliott (101.170.85.---)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:51AM

Hi Guys,

I have an RX8 6 weight blank. Its purpose is to bomb long casts out (70 feet to a full line) consistently. What I was wondering was: is it worth my while going to the single foot recoils over the standard single foot chrome plated? Will I notice a difference? I have noticed a significant difference in rods with the double foot guides of each type but I am not sure whether the way the guides flex has anything to do with this. The other thing is I hate noise, I won't use a shark skin line as it drives me mad, are the recoils noisy? I haven't noticed much noise with the double footers but didn't use recoil strippers.

Thanks,

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single foot recoil fly vs single foot chrome
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2013 09:43AM

Weight is the key here, although you'd have to check to see if you're talking about a significant difference or something so minute that it makes little to no practical difference.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 04:09PM

I've built with both and don't have the impression they are any noisier than chrome SF guides.

On the RX8 6 Wt, I'm not sure you will get a measurable distance difference with Recoils vs Chrome SF guides. They are definitely lighter, they won't corrode, and won't break or bend when deformed. If I'm looking for a build that needs to stress these qualities, I use them. I've seen a small difference in shooting distance by using SF guides with ceramic inserts but there is a weight penalty to pay there and I personally wouldn't use these on a 6 Wt.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:09PM

Ben,
If you build one rod with one type guide and another identical blank with the other rods, my guess is that you would need a tape measure to see any difference.
You might see a foot or so difference, and I am not sure as to which one would be better.

Tape each set of guides on the rod and do some casting and then you could tell for yourself.

Roger

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:54PM

Ben,
If your present build is a 9 foot with the top 4 guides as #2 standard steel wire single foot
Change to #2 light steel wire single foot 6% reduction in inertia
Change to #2 standard titanium wire single foot 9% reduction in inertia
Change to #2 light wire titanium single foot 12% reduction in inertia
The light wire titanium is the nosiest but also the most responsive.
The biggest change will be in the speed of the rod during hookset, especially at long distance
A larger change can be achieved with the addition of a titanium tip top with the top 4 guides.
You will feel more drag during your hauls, but nothing comes free.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 07:15PM

A lot of builders are using Minima guides for fly rods
Should work well for a 6 wt
try a search here for what is said about them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 09:47AM

If you decide to use minimas first check to make certain your leader-to-line connection (nail knot?) will pass smoothly and easily through your guide train.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 10:12AM

Ya got to do that with any guides you use

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 05:51PM

Right you are, Bill, but Murphy's Law never sleeps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster