I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gps
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.196.94.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 05:02PM

When I run the gps for 27x with a spool dia. of 41.5 and shaft height of 81mm, I get a choke point of 1120.5mm. This seems to me to be about the only measurement in this system that is etched in stone and holds true for all the guide styles listed on the calculator except the KL-H series which moves the choke point back toward the reel by 8 inches. I'm planning to use KL25,KL16,KT10 reduction guides and then KT6's choker to tip. 8Lb. test max. 7ft. rod. It was when I was checking out getting down to a 20 stripper guide that I noticed this change in choke points which I don't understand. First concept build so thanks for the patience. Lynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2013 06:01PM

The 27X factor and the GPS software won't necessarily give you the same result for the location of the choke guide. Nor were they designed to. The former is based on spool size and line type while the later is based on spool upsweep.

I'd suggest mocking up both layouts and doing a little bit of test casting. You'll quickly know which one is going to be better suited for your particular outfit, although I think you'll find that both perform quite well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 06:31PM

I feel the 27 X is a simple way to do the same thing

But remeber they are only a starting point and adjustments should be made along with Test Casting to fine tune any setup

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 09:42AM

Lynn. Tom is correct, but also be aware that as a "first timer" you have jumped into Fuji latest (and most advanced) layout theory. The KL-H is used for Fuji's new KR Concept, a braid theory that recognizes that you can do things with braid that you can't do as well with mono or fluoro. I would suggest clicking another tab (KL) rather than mixing the KL-H guides with Tom's 27X.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster