I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best way to Counter Bore custom fly grips?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 09:57AM

What's the best way you guys have found to counter bore a custom fly grip for a recessed hood reel seat?

I'd like to do it after the grip is turned, and align it with the bore to ensure it is concentric with the grip.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best way to Counter Bore custom fly grips?
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 10:17AM

I do it on my lathe. I put the grip back on the mandrel and with a very small gouge countersink the end. I finish with a light sanding and done. You can also do with a forcner bit but I only have (2) and it does not seam to be as accurate as I do not own a steady rest.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 10:28AM

There is a product called Crafty's Cutter that I use. I use it with a battery drill and it has not failed me yet.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 12:42PM

I pre-drill the last ring on the lathe, prior to gluing up with the rest of the grip. I've tried it on the lathe after the grip is done like Eric but I didn't like the amount of runout I saw so this process gives me a better fit. I use a forstner bit for this but I intend to move to the process that Flexcoat shows on their video by modifying spade bits. I'm going to make a wooden fixture to mount on the lathe, then the spade bit to make the recess.

Terry

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 01:59PM

I use nothing but the crafty's cutter on all my cork handles, even the recess on non fly rod grips if I want to install a button, or other recessed item into them. For my wooden grips, I use a pen barrel trimmer and then a Dremel to enlarge it to size.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 03:09PM

Dan Craft Crafty Cutter for me also.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 09:46PM

I've been trying to buy a Crafty Cutter but it has been on back order for 2 months.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 09:50PM

the method I use is for wood grips for rubberized cork or cork I outline it with pen and hit it wiht the dremmel tool, nice finish in a few minutes time. Sorry for some reason I was thinking you were talking wood here my fault.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 01:28AM

Here is a picture of the system that I use:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have built several steady rests for the times that I use my full length rod lathe.

This ball bearing steady rest makes an excellent support to insure a perfect fit on the counter bore.

I will first use a center boring 60 degree drill to insure that the hole is perfectly centered.
Then, I will use the correct sized drill, or fostner bit to finish the work.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 03:36PM

I also use a pen barrel trimmer and then a Dremel with either a sanding ring or a stone to enlarge it to size.
I use both a hand drill or chuck in in the lathe. Both work well.

Larry

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 12:36AM

This is how I do it, though it may not be the best way.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Greg
Aptos, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 01:42PM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 02:54PM

This is how I do it on the lathe using spade bits.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 04:47PM

My poor mans lath does not work as a REAL lath Ha Ha
Got to get me a set of hole saws

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: January 24, 2013 09:31PM

I use a hole saw after I shape the grip, but I find that it tears out around the edges, especially since my cork is only about 1/16" thick around the hood. I've been using a 7/8" saw which fits perfectly, but I think going smaller, 3/4" or 13/16" if I can find it would elimate that tearout if I just enlarged it with a dremel after. Aside from that, it seems to be a good system.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2013 12:33PM

there was a post here that a builder would I think it was grind or file the outer edge on them beleve he said it did not rip after

Picked up a couple of different size hole saws ran a file over the out side of them then some sandpaper so they are smooth
Drilled a ring -- Works great

Now just got to get a longer rod to replace the drill so it runs true to the handle

Thank you Greg Foy

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 08:26AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster