I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what rods for well outfitted musky angler?
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 06:55PM

Which rods should a well outfitted musky angler have? What if they can only have 2 or 3 rods? blank suggestions appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what rods for well outfitted musky angler?
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 08:05PM

I we should know what you have already.

8'6" heavy (x2) Compeitor
8' 6" medium (1x) Rainshadow
9' 10wt fly Rainshadow
is what I keep on the boat then a trolling rod or two if need be.

Eric

Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.51.---)
Date: January 19, 2013 11:16AM

Personally, I never liked rods much over 7 feet long.
I did a lot of casting with Sledges and other Jerk-type baits and a rod over 7ft wanted to hit the water all the time.
My rods were all low end St.Croix's or Loomis blanks. There's no sense spending money on high-end Graphite for Musky.
You never get a subtle bite!...HAHAHA.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.128.---)
Date: January 19, 2013 04:49PM

I am with Garry,
I prefer 7 ft 6 inch or 7 ft rods though longer rod do have benefits.
Mostly use SC II blanks though I have a MHX and Rainshadow that are nice also. However, there is something to be said for lighter rods as heaveier weight rods can wear you out if you are throwing big baits all day.
I also prefer full length grips instead of split grips.
What baits are you throwing?

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 07:48PM

You will have to ask the guy fishing, I live in the heart of Musky country here in MN and 8'-9' are the norm.

Date: January 20, 2013 12:02AM

cowgirls,showgirls, bulldawgs, depth raiders, grandmas, shallow invaders, glide baits, top raiders, spooks - showgirls, grandmas, shallow invaders and top raiders make up about 50% of the casts...but if those aren't working than everything in the box is gonna get wet.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 09:54AM

Top 3 Rods:

6'9" to 7'0" Heavy for Jerk Baits - I see lot's of guys going back to these after trying the long rods for jerks. Much better range of motion in different angles to work a bait.

7'6" or 8'0" Medium Heavy for most "normal" baits - bucktails, topwaters, cranks, etc.

8'0" X-Heavy for 4-12 oz. big baits - the right rod in this class will do big rubber up to Mag Dawgs, and lots of guys like it for big blades because it does not flex too much in the tip on the retrieve, especially on fig. 8's.

8'6" rods are popular, but I know LOTS of guys find rods over 8'0" to be diminshing returns, and 8'6" seem much more cubersome than 7'6" and 8'0" rods.

BTW - I build hundreds of musky rods a year, and this is what I see from customers - no just my own preference - although to do happen to like this set of rods for a go-to set.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2013 10:54AM

Marc,

Would you mind sharing your blanks of choice and handle configurations for the builds you suggest?

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 11:07AM

Handles - I like the Pac Bay 15" large dia. rear grip, or their musky split grips, with matching cork composite butt cap. Not a lot of great fore grips around, but the Batson musky FG is good, you may want to turn your own FG too.

The Batson IMU musky blanks are nice - especially the 7'10" Med-Heavy. We actually have a lot blanks made to our specs, but we do not sell them.

Hope this helps!

Date: January 21, 2013 10:09AM

thanks everyone. I'm a little surprised no one chimed in the the st croix blanks

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 10:29AM

Jay,

The trend in musky fishing is definitely moving towards longer rods. There are a bunch of younger guys right now that are jumping into musky fishing and I've found that the younger crowd prefers the longer rods- more so than the old school guys. Most of the musky rods that I build for guys are 8'6" or longer. I've started getting a bunch of requests for 9'6" and even 10' rods. As far as grips, guys love 1.25"- I would not go any smaller. Most guys prefer a rear grip length in the 17" range.

Here are my recommendations as far as what I've seen in my business.
Jerkbait rods: 7'6" is the typical length, I haven't had any requests for anything shorter but I know that some guys like rods closer to 7'.
Bucktail rod: 8'6" is the minimum length that most are comfortable with. Guys that put in long hours casting bucktails and figure 8'ing love the longer rods.
Crankbait rod: 8' and up. Again most guys seem to prefer 8'6" or longer because of the difficulty of doing figure 8's with a short rod.

I'm not going to recommend powers such as H or XH for these applications because there is just too much of a difference in ratings from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Hopefully this isn't in violation of forum rules but here goes:
One recommendation I will make is to check out Tackle Industries blanks. I had to beg James for a couple years before he made them available! They are very comparable to the high end stuff as far as quality and performance. They are the lightest blanks that I know of on the market and I build almost all of my personal musky rods on them. If you build musky rods, you need to check them out.

jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster