I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

interpreting common cents system
Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 07:14PM

I have just built an 11' switch rod, listed as a 6,7 wt.
I tested it with the common cents system, and determined the following values:
ERN: 10.24
AA: 75 deg
CCF: 66.6

I'm having trouble interpreting these results. Can someone give me an idea of rod weight, and possibly, what weight skagit or scandi line I might try with it?

thanks,
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: interpreting common cents system
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2013 07:20PM

The system works the same way our systems for weight, length, temperature, etc., work. Here's the result:

Your blank is more powerful than any blank with an ERN of less than 10.24 and less powerful than any blank with an ERN of more than 10.24.

Your blank has a faster action than any blank with an AA of less than 75 degrees and a slower action than any blank with an AA of more than 75 degrees.

Your blank has quicker response and recovery (speed) than any blank with a CCF of less than 66.6 and a slower response than any blank with a CCF of more than 66.6.

That's all there is to it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 07:43PM

i would start with a 9 wt line

BUT

It also depends on how it feels to - you - and your casting stile
call some friends and borrow 8 - 9 - 10 line See what line the rod likes best

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 07:50PM

There are lines built expressly for Switch rods. If you used a Batson blank, talk with them, they will be very helpful.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 10:23PM

Switch rods are just short spey rods, they live by the weight window that the blank will carry, not line weight like single hand rods. A lot of great info on the R.B. Meiser site that will explain a lot. Some great custom lines also built for spey/switch rods are available there also. He came up with the concept many years ago. He helped develop the CTS and Beulah spey/switch rods, and I bet many others.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 10:21AM

Very few Spey/Switch rods are measured or advertised using CCS so I don't know of any relative references you could use to compare.
That blank sounds quite interesting though - I think it would make an excellent steelhead float rod.
I measured the Batson RX6 spey 11'6" 6/7wt blank at ERN: 10.2, AA: 68 which is a bit slow for my tastes.
Do you mind sharing which blank it is?

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2013 11:07AM

I really like the CCS, but it becomes pretty useless in making decisions if you don't have a large database to make meaningful comparisons.

Date: January 18, 2013 11:20AM

That's why rod builders should continue to ask the manufacturers to provide these figures. Can you imagine if they didn't provide length measurements?

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: January 18, 2013 11:25AM

Based on my own frame of reference (absorption of numerous different CCS ratings) I would say that the numbers taken describe a short spey blank, not a switch. I would select a lighter spey line in the desired taper rather than a switch rated line for this blank base on the numbers. What is the butt O.D. of this blank? I'm guessing greater than .450" as well as a faster taper like a spey and less like an single hand rod?

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: January 18, 2013 01:27PM

It's an Anglers Roost 11' 6/7 switch blank. I seem to remember the butt dia to be .490 ", but would have to check with A.R.E. to be exact. (it's built over now)
I,ve seen very good reviews on the A.R.E. spey blanks, so thought I'd give this one a try, even though not much info is available on this one.
I did a static test for guide placement, and found it best with 12 guides. I can provide my placement if anyone is interested. It does have a fast tip.

I was informed yesterday, that a local fly shop has a RIO head demo kit with a whole selection of various weights that I can sign out to dial the rod in.
It will be interesting to see how closely the calculations come to on-the-water testing.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: January 18, 2013 05:24PM

This is the one?
[theanglersroost.com]
I would not expect a blank with AA:75 to be described as "Medium action".
I am interested in your guide placement for future reference.
Thanks,
Rick

Date: January 18, 2013 06:00PM

Neither would I. It's simply 75 degrees, period.

Date: January 18, 2013 06:17PM

Hi Rick,

Definitely not a medium action blank. My finished rod does seem to have some backbone to it, but definitely flexes in the top 1/3rd. Comes with a butt extension and reel seat, which I didn't think was good quality, so didn't use, and, for what I feel is a pretty decent and nicely-finished blank, not necessary to include anyway. My impression is that the blank is better than the price indicates, however; I'm still relatively new to the rod-building pastime, so, field-testing will tell.
I used a 4" lower grip, built on the blank, 4" seat, and a 10" upper grip. I balanced the reel seat location to my reel, loaded with the tip out.
Starting with a guide calculator chart, then adjusting with a static test, I arrived at the following spacing (12 guides):
4 1/16.... 8 7/8...14 7/16... 20 11/16... 27 11/16... 35 1/2... 43 7/8... 53 1/16... 62 15/16.. 73 9/16.. 84 7/8... 97.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: January 18, 2013 06:24PM

Rick,
If you are talking traditional lengths of single handed rods I would agree. The physical characteristics of long spey blanks cause them to inherently have greater action angles than shorter single handed blanks due to the greater distance the blank's flex has to occur. A 14' spey rod with an AA of 60 for example, would be nearly unfishable I imagine. I would suggest only comparing action angles between similar models.

Date: January 18, 2013 06:35PM

Thanks Geoff,
Good info. I will see what info I can find.

Rick

Date: January 20, 2013 07:27PM

Back from the test-flight of my 11' 6/7wt A.R.E. switch build.
Started with a 410 skagit switch, with 12' 3.9 ips spey polyleader. Felt pretty good, and I thought that might be it. Then put on a 440, 470, then 510.
The 440 and 470 definitely felt "in the sweet spot", the 510 started to bog down. Also tried 10' T-11, and the 440 and 470 both turned it over well.
I felt the 440 was a little better. (for me)
I then tried a 420 compact scandi (first time I'd tried a scandi) with the polyleader. Was effortless to put out 30' of running line.
I'm happy with my rod, the line choices, and the help I received on here.
thanks for a good discussion.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 08:22PM

I take it that those numbers are the ( weight ) of the lines you tried at a certain number of feet from the tip ?

Like i have said a rod casts ( weight ) since it is a fly rod it is casting a weighted line and the Correct line will cast ( to your feel ) and load the rod correctly
You just have to find the ( Correct ) line weight

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 23, 2014 12:32PM

Just a late-breaking update to my original post:
I've been using my A.R.E. 11' 6/7 wt for a year and 1/2 now. It actually tested out as a 7.8 on the spey scale, and finally dialed in to a 540 gr skagit switch and a 510 Airflo Rage. With these lines, I can pound out 80'+ casts all day. I use it rivers for summer and winter steelhead, landing several up to 16 lbs. I also use it on the beach for coho. It has become my favourite all-around rod, and thought it deserved this follow-up, since there is very little info available online on this rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster