I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 04:12PM

Is there a tutorial on how to do these I would like to learn. Where can I get the stuff to do them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 04:54PM

Contact Rileyrods for info and Supplies

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: January 17, 2013 04:56PM

The original articles on the grips and cores was in Rodmaker mag back in V10 no. 6. I get my supplies at Solar Composites. They were recommended in the articles. Makes sure you get the shrink wrap that has the silicone release agent on the inside.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 06:35PM

There is more than one process for finishing the grips. One uses shrink wrap, the other does not and was developed by JP Timberlake and is the one I use. I have documented his process and will email you a copy.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2013 06:39PM

Andy Dear's original article (Andy was 1/2 of the "team" that developed these grips) did not use shrink wrap. That article is in the Volume 10 #6 issue. A later article, in the Volume 11 #4 issue, detailed the use of heat shrink tubing to pull the skin onto the core.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: January 17, 2013 10:42PM

I 2nd Solar Composites ...

Great company fast shipping

Posted by: ernest sebastian (139.192.83.---)
Date: January 18, 2013 02:11AM

Phil,
do you mean using zip ties?if not please could you send me the email too? thanks
i used zip ties and have good result with it. but still have a problem with finishing top coat
with epoxy that i get from rileys it easily scratch, and now i still experimenting to applied PU clear on top of the epoxy

Date: January 18, 2013 11:49AM

Ernest, your email address is hidden. After the epoxy is fully cured, I find it very difficult to scratch it.

Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 12:41PM

Can you send me the instructions as well. I have been wanting to try this.

Date: January 18, 2013 01:05PM

Sorry Phil i didnt realize it hidden.
this is my email ernestsebastian052@yahoo.com
few days ago when i have to shown this rod to a potential customer his finger ring leave nasty scratch all over it
it's embarasing enough
so after that i follow Mr Tom sugestion to used urethane(PG) as a final coat but i cant wait 1-2month to ship single bottle of PG from US
so i go to local auto paintshop and searched for it subtitute and found PU clear
but it's dificult to applied with brush.maybe i should invest more on air compressor and spray gun

thanks

Date: January 18, 2013 01:36PM

Chris, your email address is also hidden.

Date: January 18, 2013 01:52PM

Phil,
just recieved and read your email.
many thanks :)

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 02:38PM

Phil,
May I get a copy also?

I thank you sir,

Larry

Posted by: Ron Jack (72.95.98.---)
Date: January 18, 2013 02:45PM

Phil, May I get a copy.

Thank you,

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: January 18, 2013 10:15PM

As far as scratching is concerned I top coat with auto clear. I have never had a problem with surface scratching. Dont get my wrong if you drag it in the gravel its gonna scratch.. but think about the abuse auto clear goes through over its life... hence the reason I top with auto clear

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster