I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

line through guides noise
Posted by: Bill Henn (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 01:57PM

About a month ago I began building a light, fast action 9' surf rod from an MHX blank. Taking the advice of several list members, I used SIC mini guides spaced as shown on guide mfgr. charts. The rod came out as I had hoped,very light, with a nice fast action. Yesterday I tried casting with it for the first time using a Stradic 4000, 10# Power Pro line and a one oz. jig. The rod casted fine, at least as far as similar rods I have with conventional guide set ups.
What bothered me was that I could hear the hiss of the line passing through the guides during the cast. I have had very bad hearing for decades and have never been able to hear this before when fishing with all size rods up to 10' using braid or mono. I would assume the sound was due to the friction of the line passing through the guides. I thought the mini guides were supposed to help straighten the line during the cast so it will flow through the guides more easily with less friction.
Could it be that the mini guides are causing more friction. Am I missing something here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: line through guides noise
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2013 02:00PM

There is very little friction between the line and the guides on a cast because there is very little force pressing them together. Smaller guides are sometimes "louder" but the proof is in where the lure lands, not what the line sounds like through the guides.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 03:30PM

Helleluiah! Your hearing has been restored!

j/k

Date: January 16, 2013 05:55PM

jk.

Thanks, an astute observation but there is no chance of that. Too many .223 rounds went off near my ears.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: January 17, 2013 03:01PM

Some hearing losses can be frequency dependent. My father for instance has hearing loss in specific frequencies due to working RADAR equipment for years. Other frequencies, he hears fine.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: January 17, 2013 06:12PM

My loss is mostly the higher frequencies. If I recall, the last time it was tested I could only hear up to near 4K Hz

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.226.82.166.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 17, 2013 07:23PM

"It's just the normal noises in here..." Tom Petty.

Personaly I have come to love that sound; reminds me kind of the wind singing on a bait line at the end of a pier full of pin rigs. Something the good Lord has blessed us with...

What's for dinner?

Chuck

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 12:38PM

High frequency here also...diagnosed in jr. high no less. Like you...too many shotgun and .223 rounds before we wised up and started wearing hearing protection. Also, I drove alot of open tractors in the first 20 years of my life. Starting at age 6 and it only got worse from there.

High frequency loss and CONSTANT ringing.

Date: January 20, 2013 02:11PM

Yeah, I have the ringing also. Now that the damage has been done, I wear hearing p[rotectors when shooting at the range.

Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 10:29PM

Bill,
You can try PowerPro Super 8 slick braid and the hiss will quiet down and you will be able to cast farther. You may also hear the hiss when you
are retriving your lure.

Mikew
Yeah, I have hearing loss and ringing also... To much fun with the shotgun.

Date: January 23, 2013 09:33AM

Thanks much, Mike! I saw the advertisements for the PP Slick and wondered if it would cast further than the regular PP. More expensive but if it works as you say, worth it. I fish mostly off the beach in areas where the people who can cast the furthest catch most of the fish.
I will order some today.
BTW, would you know if the Slick PP have the same diameter for a given strength as the regular PP?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster