I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat and Micro Guides for Large Diameter Rods
Posted by: Casey Burden1 (---.miq.com)
Date: January 16, 2013 01:40PM

Hey Guys, I want to build a glass cranking rod and I am wandering about reel seat options and micro guides . As you know, these s-glass blanks have much larger diameters. Often 3/4ths of an inch or bigger in some instances. With that being said, I am really wanting to trying the RF Legacy Elite blanks. What are my options as far as reel seats go on the RF blanks for about a 9.5-11.5 inch handle length. I know the Fuji TCSM 18.0 would probably get the job done and I do like the comfort of this seat. I am just curious as to if there are other options. Can you ream out a Fuji ECSM 17.0? Are there any split seats being used on these larger blanks without hacking a TCSM in half? Also, I notice a few companies, like Quantum, have larger composite blanks as well and seem to incorporate a Fuji ACSM reel seat on those blanks. Also, I plan on running around 4.0 micros, all on top of this cranking rod. I plan to throw anything from a sqaurebill to a dd22 with this rod and at times incorporate braid into the equation. Do I need a more heavy duty version of micro guides like the FUJI BKBAG or will the KTAG's do the job on such a large blank. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat and Micro Guides for Large Diameter Rods
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 16, 2013 01:48PM

Why not ask Lance at Swampland?
They get them made by seeker, build them for many and supply many with them. They have a vested interest in giving you the very best advice possible.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2013 02:15PM

Casey,

Check with Bill or Lance, and they will send you a build sheet. I have an RFLE 765 cut down to 7'. The seat is 9.25" from the butt of the rod, the seat is a 17mm TCSM reamed to fit (If you decide to cut up the seat, cut first and then ream to fit, as the pieces will slide farther down the blank after they are cut). I picked up the full 17mm seat and the ECSM exposed blank seat, and found the full seat much more comfortable for the way I hold the reel on this rod. I did a 1/4" tip trim on mine with the rest from the butt, and it handles everything from shallow diving square bills to deep divers quite well. You won't be disappointed.

My guide train is 4mm Batson minis all on top. There shouldn't be any need to go to the heavier framed guides on that build, maybe the 2 or 3 closest to the butt if it helps you rest easier.

Joe

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.126.193.---)
Date: January 16, 2013 02:31PM

X3 on calling the guys at Swampland.
They've built them for the pros and can tell you just how they do it and how they like them. Just finished building a bunch of those rods for guys in my area requesting the same blank. Looks like they'll be wanting more. And they throw anything that moves with them: cranks, jerks, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, etc. Most versatile blank I've worked with in a long time. I use a combination of KT's and KB's but it's mostly a preference thing. Talk to Swampland, they'll steer you through it.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 06:55PM

Casey, please give myself or Bill Stevens a call. We can help you out with any questions you may have.

[swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2013 07:04PM

been using Batson ALPS guides on everything including rods throwing 5 and 6oz Alabama rigs with 80 lb brain and no problems

Posted by: Casey Burden1 (64.22.228.---)
Date: January 17, 2013 12:54PM

Thanks for the info guys! Lance, I will for sure be calling you in the near future!

Posted by: mike harris (---.static.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 18, 2013 03:42PM

On these blanks you can use the 17 seat on a 7 foot rod with a little reaming and an 18 seat on an 8 foot rod with a lot of reaming. I have reamed 18 seats so much that epoxy oozed out of pinholes in the threaded area but once it is glued to the blank it is not a worry being so thin. Splitting the seats works well since the blanks are so large in diameter they are comfortable to hold onto and there is not much step between the blank and seat.

Posted by: mike harris (---.static.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 18, 2013 03:43PM

On these blanks you can use the 17 seat on a 7 foot rod with a little reaming and an 18 seat on an 8 foot rod with a lot of reaming. I have reamed 18 seats so much that epoxy oozed out of pinholes in the threaded area but once it is glued to the blank it is not a worry being so thin. Splitting the seats works well since the blanks are so large in diameter they are comfortable to hold onto and there is not much step between the blank and seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster