I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Issue
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2013 01:39PM

Normally, the first new issue of each year mails on February 1st. Because this issue contains the tickets to the RodMaker Reception, held on the 22nd of that month, the new issue will mail about a week early. Those of you who need to renew should do so now as it'll be in the mail in just another week. New subscribers who wish to attend the Reception should do likewise. We will be checking subscription status this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 08:18AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Issue
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 02:50PM

That is an awesome cover shot!! Congrats to Bill Ballou on his article and beautiful work featured on teh cover!

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (12.191.162.---)
Date: January 15, 2013 04:30PM

How much weight savings could you have if these were created with foam instead of wood? Those look really sharp.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2013 05:12PM

Not a lot - these are extremely light to begin with. They're cedar and feature a large bore. JP Timberlake was by here a few weeks ago and I handed him a set. Maybe he'll chime in and give you his impressions as to their weight. By the expression on his face when I handed the grips to him, I have a pretty idea what he's going to say.

The complete story and how-to is in the article.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2013 05:27PM

I agree with Tom, they are very light. I don't think foam would be much different than the cedar Bill Ballou is using. They really look fantastic. I remember Bill showing me some of his first ones, and he really has done a great job with these. I look forward to the article and seeing more at the Show

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 06:05PM

Tha big blue fore grip is about 1 1/2 oz. The split grips for 3 pieces is about 1 1/2 oz. If you leave the small front piece off .close to an oz.. Will have some painted. Possibly college logos also some clear red ceder, sassafras and walnut. More split grips than large fore grip.
Thanks everyone,
Bill

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2013 06:06PM

I saw a set that Billy Vivona had at the Chicago gathering and can't wait to get my hands on some at the Expo

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 06:22PM

Very innovative Bill. Wish I was going this year to see them in person. Circumstances though...

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 09:39PM

Looking forward to it.

Posted by: Dan Makauskas (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 11:46PM

I'm about to glue a set on, they look awesome. Congrats Bill!!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 07:55PM

I think too much emphasis by some is placed on the weight of the grip. This is a valid concern when making an ultri-light rod, but I would consider first, the weight of the remainder of the rod sticking out in front of the grip.Balance of the overall rod would be my primary consideration.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 08:50PM

To answer the best I can . These grips have a 1/2 " thru hole. Any ulrta light rod the hole diameter would be much smaller. The grip would also be smaller in diameter lessening the weight. I'm guessing a 2'' butt piece and a 3" grip made for an ultra light wouldn't weight more than the reel seat. But I understand your concern.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster