I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe maintenance - Cleaning the chuck jaws!
Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2013 03:02PM

I have received some question on this topic and I wanted to share the information.

Most of the people I've talked to about their lathe turning project being out of round never clean the chuck jaws and some never heard of doing that.

It's a good practice to clean the jaws of the chuck before you start work on your lathe project, such as prior to installing a mandrel on the lathe chuck. It doesn't take much to cause run out on your mandrel, which will cause your grip, insert or any project your working on to be out of round.

To clean the chuck jaws you can use a bottle brush, if you can find one small enough. I use brass gun cleaning brushes. I have 3 or 4 different sizes from a 22 caliber brass brush to a 12 gauge brass brush, depending on what size of mandrel I'm using. I use the same type of brushes on my metal lathe when turning and threading the TK Mandrels and sometimes I will use the gun cleaning mops to clean the chuck jaws after using the brass brushes. You can also use the same brass brushes on your drill press chuck or your hand drill chuck.

Hope this helps

Lynn Williams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe maintenance - Cleaning the chuck jaws!
Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: January 14, 2013 03:45PM

Thanks Lynn. Great advice. I'm sure it will help many of us.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 08:51PM

Lynn,
In addition, high pressure air is your best friend.
Both before, during and after, I frequently use high pressure air to clean the chuck and general area of debris, turnings and dust.
This is of course combined with a good vacuum system.

Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 11:07AM

Lynn, where exactly are you cleaning? The contact points where the jaws grip the mandrel? I had a chuck that a piece of debris got into teh keyway an dI was unabl eto move teh jaws, they were locked and no matter wha tI did I couldn't get it out. I was lucky that I was able to retun teh chuck for a new one at no charge less shipping.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2013 10:53AM

Hey Billy, yes your correct I was talking about the chuck jaws where they grip the mandrel.

I just talked to a guy a few weeks ago that thought he had a bad mandrel. I ask him to check and clean the chuck jaws and he found a piece of the acrylic shaving stuck to the chuck jaw. He had been turning acrylic reel seat inserts just before he started to turn his grips. Removing the acrylic shaving took care of his mandrel run out problem.

About a year ago I too had a chuck to lock up, but I was fortunate enough to be able to take the chuck apart and get the piece of cork that was wedged in the gears.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster