I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

long underwrap 12"
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 13, 2013 01:09PM

What do you do when you have to stop in the middle when using hand wrapper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: long underwrap 12"
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2013 01:23PM

Keep a masking tape dispenser nearby and tape the rod to the wrapper with the thread under tension. When you come back, unwind 5-7 wraps and continue.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2013 04:28PM

Put a small piece of painters tape, the blue stuff right where the wrap ends, don't wrap it all the way around, just enough to keep the thread from coming loose. I wrapped at least 100 rods by hand, and that was my way of saving work. Don't worry, it won't affect they wrap and won't leave a residue.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 01:48AM

I usually just loosend the tension just enough the thread didn't want to pull the blank out off the rollers and walked away. Once back to the bench just wind 3-5 revolutions back onto the spool and start wrapping again.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: January 14, 2013 11:44AM

I take a piece of tape from the frame of the wrapper to the rod. This keeps the rod in the wrapper, and the thread in tension. I use painters tape.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 12:13PM

you can end the wrap just as a guide wrap put the pull loop under the rod

You can if wrapping from left to right push the thread to the right with 2 - 3 large spaces then put a strip of tape over the blank and thread to hold it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 14, 2013 12:57PM

I was wondering because i ended my wrap by pulling loop under 5 wraps and when i came back next day it had come loose.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 03:35PM

In that case you can Hold the wrap Undo about 4" of the thread Tighten the rest up buy pulling on that end
Don't break it
Bring the 4" around the blank in large spaces 3 - 4 put a piece of tape on to hold it
Start the wrap again close to the end Wrap 6 - 7 turns locking it in
Take the tape off Take that tag end and tighten it up Nothing should come loose if tight enough
pack trim the tag end and continue the wrap

This way you don't have to rewrap the whole thing

I do it this way when adding several colors to a wrap

Also sounds like you may need more tension on the thread That is probably why it came loose

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 14, 2013 10:15PM

I think you're right Bill when I was burnishing guide under wraps they came loose to. This is my first time with under wraps I was worried about being able to pack them tight enough so I loosened the tension.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 15, 2013 12:55AM

Hi Paul,
You can pack your underbind by holding a burnishing tool up against it as you wrap. Works with power and hand wrappers and saves some time. Guide legs make it difficult to do with an overwrap but it's great for long underbinds and guide underbinds as it gets everything well packed.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 11:39AM

Col,
I only use a power wrapper. When doing long wraps or underwraps, I generally hold the thread at about a -20 degrees to the end of the wraps. As a result, I typically have no need to burnish, except for the very end of the wrap, where I burnish the thread lock.

Roger

Date: January 15, 2013 04:02PM

If you can burnish your guide wraps, then there is no issue with not being able to burnish your underwrap with the same tension used. I'm pretty much the same as Roger...underwraps usually don't require much of any burnishing.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 15, 2013 04:37PM

Roger,
I only use a hand wrapper, I'm not in a hurry. The method I indicated is simple to do and ensures everything is packed the same whether it needs it or not.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: January 17, 2013 08:11AM

Thanks to everyone I am learning so much from this forum.

Date: January 17, 2013 06:53PM

Make no mistake about it...

No matter how much you know...you'll learn something new from this forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster