I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dye sublimation printing
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: January 11, 2013 12:00PM

Is dye sublimation printing technology compatible with rodbuilding? Is it a stable enough medium to be used for labels and decorative adornments like other printing methods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 12:02PM by John E Powell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dye sublimation printing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2013 12:56PM

It's even more ideal because the nature of the ink (dye) is more long lasting. Plus, you can print in white.

Date: January 11, 2013 02:39PM

Tom,

When you say it's even more ideal do you mean in comaprison to the style from say an Alps 1000/5000 series? My concern is, and I may have this wrong, that the sublimation process melts and sprays tiny droplets of ink and creates better shading than other methods, but siince it is an "ink?" that has a melting point will that be a problem for a rod that may sit in direct sunlight? I've been considering the cost/benefit of a discontinued/refurbished Alps style printer vs. a different current technology that may be less expensive and have a longer life span.

Date: January 11, 2013 02:43PM

I've not heard of that issue coming up and more than a few builders have used the ALPs printer for making their rod inscriptions. Once you apply finish over the top of the inscription I don't see any real problem from it melting.

Hopefully someone that has an ALPs can weigh in and give a definitive answer.

Date: January 11, 2013 03:27PM

Tom,

I'm not sure I understand your post. I am under the impression that the Alps 1000/5000 are not dye sublimation printers. Do they have other models which are?

Date: January 11, 2013 03:51PM

I'm not sure what they offer/ed but once you apply finish over the top of an inscription I don't think anything is going to melt, run, smear, etc.

Date: January 11, 2013 04:09PM

I tried a xerox phaser once that used solid colored ink that was melted and applied - I don't not believe it was a sublimation process though. It had a wonderful output on a page, but the melting temp was pretty low and I didn't have great success with it because of the melting problem. I tried a sample and after a season I could notice some blotchyness along sharp edges of vastly different colors (like yellow next to purple) so I never tried it again. That was about 10 years ago. Sublimation seems similar, but different enough that I was considering that for my next printer purchase if I could get some definite feedback. I suppose, I could always ask for a sample printout if I couldn't get a definite answer from someone who has actually tried it. My inclination is that it is a technological step above the xerox I tried 10 years ago and may work well, or at least I hope.

Date: January 11, 2013 04:43PM

Was the ink covered or encapsulated with anything?

Posted by: John Britt (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 11, 2013 04:45PM

Alps both the Alps 1300 and 5000 had the ability to print dye sub, many yearts ago Alps had a post on their web site that the dye sub did not work as well as their regular system for some printing chores.
The problem with the Alps is only a couple of models could print in metallics and all of them needed a white base coat for printing for use on rods again only a couple of models the 1000,1300 and 5000 were able to print in white.
I sold off all my models as it is becoming far to difficult to get the needed cartridges now a great idea for it's time but that time has passed, far easier to get the decals needed rom one of the sponsors
John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2013 05:34PM

maybe you should compare the price of the printer supplies time to having some one like Decal Connection doing it for ya ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2013 08:46PM

cartridges are not hard to find.
they are vailable and plenty if you know where to look.
theya re available from a guy in new zealand at a reasonable price cheaper than the @#$%& hoarders who led you to believe that the cartridges are becoming instinct.
Also,
pawis parker foil fast p21x uses the same cartridges, the pawis parkers is basically an alps 5000, it has USA tech support, inks by the cartons.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster