I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aluminum gimbals for large diameter stand up rods
Posted by: Rance Keilstrup (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2013 06:58PM

Hi, I'm building a stand up rod on the calstar baja boomer blank. The butt measures 1.18 inch, and the largest I.D. aluminum gimbal I can find is a 1.125 (1 1/8"). I'm going to end up having to cut about 3 inches off of the butt of the blank to get an aluminum gimbal on, and was just wondering if anyone knows where I might find an aluminum gimbal with at least a 1.2 inch inside diameter. I've tried Merrick, mudhole, and the rod room....those are my main suppliers, and none of them have anything larger than 1.125. With so many of the stand up tuna blanks having such large diameter butt sections, I would think that someone would make a slightly larger diameter gimbal just for that purpose. Just wondered if someone might know..........Thanks..........Rance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aluminum gimbals for large diameter stand up rods
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 09:41PM

If I am not mistaken there is enough "Meat" at the Butt of the Blank that you can carefullysand / Grind the end of the blank to fit the gimbal

Posted by: Rance Keilstrup (---.sub-70-196-10.myvzw.com)
Date: January 08, 2013 09:55PM

Thanks.....I'm going to cut 2 inches off anyway so that I will end up with 5'6" on the finished rod. I think witth a Winthrop AT tip plus the gimbal, it adds about 2". I might not have to sand to much after cutting the 2"'s off. I'll just have to look and see... This is going to be a standup rod for bluefin at Prince Edward Island, so there will be a lot of pressure on the gimbal, and tip section, so i dont want to sand much off. Thanks for the suggestion .

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 09:08AM

Any thought of going with an aluminum butt? Probably a number 4 would work for you.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 10:30AM

That would involve cutting the Blank back from the Butt over a foot

Date: January 09, 2013 10:50AM

Yes, I thought about an aluminum butt Todd. Although nearly all the rods I build are for others , this one is mine, and I'm not real big on uni - butts or stora-butts for myself, although an aluminum bent and or straight butt would be great for this trip to PEI, in the future for my normal trips, I would prefer just a regular rear grip. I'm going to put 1/6 inch cork tape between the reel seat and gimbal, and then do a tuna cord(butt cord) wrap over the cork . That should transition out really well with the gimbal and the reel seat. It's real easy to replace the tuna cord once it gets worn , so that's also a plus. Thank you so very much for the reply....I know that would work well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 11:40AM by Rance Keilstrup.

Date: January 09, 2013 11:27AM

Barry Thomas Sr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would involve cutting the Blank back from the
> Butt over a foot

Hi Barry, your right, I would have to cut off at least a foot to add an aluminum butt I had the blank measured with a caliper before it was shipped to me. It is 1.180 at the end of the butt, and the gimbal ID is 1.125, So I only need to reduce the diameter down barely over 1/16"for the gimbal to fit , and probably another 1/16th for epoxy..........cutting off 4 inches will give me that and maybe even a little more. The blank is 5' 6" so 5' 2" plus the winthrop tip and gimbal should give me a finished rod about 5' 4" That should be a good length for Prince Edward Island Bluefin Tuna.. I really wanted 5' 6", but 5' 4"will be fine............thanks so very much.........Rance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 11:36AM by Rance Keilstrup.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 12:14PM

I'm a little different. I like shorter rods for big fish (PEI bluefins typically fit that category). I've built stand-up rods as short as 4'8". I personally like something in the 5' down to 4'10" range for big fish. My point is that if you get down to 5'4", you should be just fine.

The BB is listed with a butt diameter of 1.105"...I'm suprised yours measures 1.18"...that's a big difference.

Date: January 09, 2013 01:18PM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
> I'm a little different. I like shorter rods for
> big fish (PEI bluefins typically fit that
> category). I've built stand-up rods as short as
> 4'8". I personally like something in the 5' down
> to 4'10" range for big fish. My point is that if
> you get down to 5'4", you should be just fine.
>
> The BB is listed with a butt diameter of
> 1.105"...I'm suprised yours measures
> 1.18"...that's a big difference.

Your exactly right (The bluefin there average between 750 and 800 pounds), the shorter the rod, the better leverage you have, and I'll be happy with 5' 4". I just don't want it to be any shorter than that. It's an expensive rod to build for just one trip, 5' 6" is a great length for the long range Yellow Fin trips I go on, so 5' 4" is a good compromise, that way I can get a lot of use out of it on future trips. Here's the listing I have for the Baja Boomer.......BAJA-BOOMER
5'6"
60-130
S/T 80-100Lb.
2X-Fast
1.175.........is the butt diameter, although it measured out to 1.18

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 01:23PM by Rance Keilstrup.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 02:33PM

if you don't trust the butt of the rod after sanding it down to fit the Gimbel you could add a 3 - 4" piece of scrap blank into the butt as a reinforcement

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 09, 2013 02:42PM

I'm sorry. I was looking at the Baby Boomer diameter.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 04:50PM

SAY WHAT ??
i was just saying you can reinforce the butt
Do your own thing
Baby Boomer ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 09, 2013 07:24PM

Bill have you been drinking again or is the ADD kicking in?

LOL

Date: January 10, 2013 04:57AM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
> I'm sorry. I was looking at the Baby Boomer
> diameter.

No problem at all, I thought that might be the case. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Posted by: thad peach (129.41.205.---)
Date: January 11, 2013 12:02PM

What I have done in the past on a boomer is when I had the gimbal smaller than the blank I reamed out the gimbal and I only take a inch off if necessary and just chamfer the butt end of the blank just to fit the gimbal.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster