I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inshore Saltwater Guides
Posted by: Brian Bowers (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 05:55AM

Does anyone have first hand knowledge on the use of Fuji Concept Alconite guides for saltwater applications? How well are they holding up to corrosion? I build mostly freshwater rods, but have been asked by a customer to build up an inshore saltwater rod for bonefish, permit. Cost is an issue to him so I'm thinking of staying away from SiC or Zirconia and stainless or titanium.

Thanks for any info.
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inshore Saltwater Guides
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 06:46AM

if you are going to build it for saltwater use you are going to need Stainless Steel frames,that said I use Alconite guides on quite a few of my builds

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 08, 2013 07:17AM

I use the alconites a lot. I think the black frames hold up better. They have been fine provided you always wash/rinse after use. I don't have enough time on them to say for sure but I suspect the guides made out of 316 stainless will hold up better. Fuji uses 304 stainless.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 08:47AM

Fuji stainless steel frames will hold up to saltwater. Are they corrosion proof? No. Are they corrosion resistant? Yes. Do they need help? Yes. Clean them EVERY trip out, period. Rinse, rinse, rinse. Every few months apply a coat of wax to the entire rod, especially the guides and reel seat hardware. I use carnauba wax, but Pledge (don't use another brand, some contain solvents) will do just fine. Black chrome does hold up better than polished chrome, but it won't be a problem either way IF you follow the proper cleaning and protecting procedures.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2013 09:41AM

I use polished chrome Alconites on some of my inshore salt rods. They hold up well as long as you keep them rinsed after use. Like Jim, I use Pledge on my rods periodically.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: January 08, 2013 11:01AM

Mr. Bowers,
You may want to check out one of the new solid titanium frames listed on our website fishpacbay.com. They have zirc rings and are priced very competitively. You can find them via the front page's rotating ad banner or in the "new products" section (recently updated with other new products also.) There is a spec sheet with all the data including MSRP. Sorry to be such a salesman but they might be just the ticket for what your trying to build. Happy building!

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 02:53PM

I use all black fuji alconite on my saltwater rods. Never had any problem in the past few years?
You should rince all rods after use.... the saltwater is evil.... :P

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 07:59PM

Hi,

I use both Alconite black and chrome frames. Never a problem. On my personal rods I choose the Pac Bay Minima 4 guides.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 09:28PM

I have used Alconite guides on strictly saltwater rods for over a decade without noticeable corrosion. I ALWAYS thoroughly rise rods and reels IMMEDIATELY after I stop fishing.

Posted by: Brian Bowers (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 05:54AM

Guys,

Thanks for all of the great tips. I had not realized that the Alconite guides had stainless steel frames. The waxing comments are new to me also. Great info. What about Kigan? I see that St Croix is using them on their inshore S/W rods now.

Thanks Again,
Brian

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 08:24AM

Kigan has a very nice product. I use the Stainless version for running guides on some builds. The St Croix rods use a Titanium Alloy version. Both will do fine. Obviously, one is corrosion resistant the other nearly corrosion proof. If you decide to look at the Kigan guides, look at the "Z" series.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 05:08PM

Stainless gets its corrosion resistance from a film of chromium oxide that forms on the surface when the chromium in the microstructure is exposed to the oxygen. Remove the oxygen from the surface by coating it in epoxy and you’ve removed the materials natural ability to regenerate its protective coating. To make matters worst, we grind the feet bringing Fe to the surface negating the effects of the earlier passivation

So...... we end up with exposed Fe on the surface of the feet from our grinding and a compromised protective coating caused by the layer of epoxy we applied. Down the road, the epoxy starts to breakdown, moisture gets under the wraps and voilà , we have rust.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster