I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top
Posted by: stanford yerger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2013 08:10PM

I wrapped a few fly rods with minima 4’s size 4 and used the standard
Tip Top 5.3mm loop. Has any one come up with minima 4 Tiptop?
Guess it’s all about esthetics

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 01:31PM

Look at the model FM in the Pac Bay catalog. Minima 4 in ring size 3 and 4.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2013 08:07PM

Mega thanks Mike, thats what I'm looking for.
stan

Date: January 08, 2013 08:18PM

I have been talking to Pac Bay, and they are going to have this tip top in larger ring sizes in about 6 months.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 05:15PM

I personally like having a tip top that is one size larger than my running guides on my fly rods. I use size 5 Minimas as runners about 90 percent of the time, so I use a size 6 tip top for those rods. I also wrap a guide as a tip top, rather than using a sleeved tip top with a tube. It's plenty strong enough, and in my opinion, far more aesthetically pleasing as it keeps the thread wraps proportionally more consistent all the way to the very end of the rod. The bottleneck guide feet help ensure that guide pull-out is highly unlikely. Also, you don't have to worry about ordering the right sized tubed-tip top, which, in my case usually means ordering an extra size or two.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 05:46PM

Torin,

Can you upload a picture of how you use a regular guide as a tip top? Asthetically, I can't picture why that would look better than a sleeved top which I find very clean at the end of the rod. I'd like to see how you do it. Not being critical, just like to look at other ideas on how to do things.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: January 09, 2013 06:33PM

I know that wraping a guide on the rod as a tip top is something that some of the rod builders do. I only see one problem with this practice. replacing the tip top is not something you can do out on the lake, stream, or sea. Pull outs might be rare, but they can happen. Losing a tube type tip top is also rare, and I know this happens. Fixing this problem in the field is a totally different matter between these two techniques.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 07:23PM

Steve,

I've sent you an email with photo attached. The guide as a tip top keeps the thread wrap to hardware appearance more uniform than when you suddenly introduce a metal cylinder. Also, rod makers often use a very short wrap (which serves no functional purpose) at the end of the cylinder in an attempt to try to keep the aesthetics consistent. For me, it has always looked like a suddend change in hardware/appearance.

Mike,

Flyrods don't typically have issues with tip tops pulling off. A security wrap, like a Forhan Locking Wrap could be of benefit here, but with the Minima's foot geometry - it's generally not necessary. If a guide does manage to pull out, then you can certainly do a field repair with a typical tubed sleeve tip top until you get back to your wrapping bench. I've personally never had a tip top pull out with these Minimas, but I use fairly strong thread tension and finish my wraps with 2 coats of Lumiseal and 1 (occasionally 2) coats of epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster