I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chromaseal CP blotchy
Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2013 06:39PM

Used chromoseal for the first time yesterday over an Fishhawk 221 A orange nylon thread on a Rainshadow RX8 904 blank. Put it on liberally and let dry on rotating dryer. There are dark blotchy areas that look like dirty water marks that became apparent within an hour and faded somewhat but never completely resolved even after 24 hrs. Any ideas? The wrap was tight. The CP bottle inverted several times first to mix up. Should I try an additional coat? Never had a similar problem with Flexcoat CP.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chromaseal CP blotchy
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.128.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: January 07, 2013 07:21PM

I use Chromaseal and can't praise it enough, did you stir it prior to applying it to the wraps, this might of caused those dark blotchy areas? and yes apply another coat, you need at least two full coats with chromaseal cp.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 07:28PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 08:22PM

I haven't used Chromoseal but the only time I ever got blotches like you describe, I was sold CP from a shipment that had been frozen on the shipping dock.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.128.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: January 07, 2013 09:12PM

Jim, can i ask what cp do you use on your weaves? with Chromaseal you get an almost true black when used on black thread (no little white horrible fleck highlights like you get with some cp's like flexcoat) Nothing wrong with flexcoat cp, i still like to use it on tigerwraps, works great on all colours except for black.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2013 09:13PM

This was a sample I received at the Expo last year. Kept in my shop above 65 degrees.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.19.---)
Date: January 08, 2013 12:01AM

Hi Jeff,
I use a lot of chromaseal cp on madeira thread and have never seen that happen on any coat and I usually use three. I haven't used a lot of different types of cp but chromaseal has given me no problems and retains spool colours.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2013 02:54PM

Steve; I think the last one I used was Casson's but I have tested so many, I don't recall. I would have to go home and look.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 08, 2013 06:21PM

Check your hands and your thread spool. I had a little issue with a yellow thread some time back and it turned out it was in the colour itself. Not visible on the spool but as soon as it was wrapped there were light markings. I coated with chromaseal and it enhansed the markings. I ditched the thread and bought a new spool which went together just fine. Not the fault of Chromaseal - just the thread. I can't praise Chromaseal enough - best CP I've used.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 08, 2013 10:00PM

I use Chromaseal and have noticed that if I use too heavy of a coat, (and I normally use two coats on madeira) I will get either a dark or a milky splotches. I normally try to wick away any heavy build up I notice. A coffee filter works well for this part. I apply the CP with my drying motor running. I had this problem with some Fishhawk maroon thread recently. It was an builder problem not a CP or thread problem.

I went thought a learing curve with FC when I started building. I switched to Chromaseal, which I have used since it came out on the market. But in all fairness to FC, I think their is a learning curve with CP (which ever brand you use) just has there is with epoxy. That "learning curve" might move you to change products when all you needed was just a little more learning time. It seems so simple to apply yet it has its "quirks".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster