I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Covers
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 05:09PM

Thinking of making my own rod covers like the Stik Jackets, Rod Gloves, Rod Cover Ups, Rod Sox, etc. Does anyone know if the material is nylon, polyethylene, plastic or what? Or, does it even matter? Can it be cut with a knife, scissors? What about that flare at the bottom, is it a matter of heating and stretching or just stretching? What would be a good source for the tubular webbing material. I realize it'll be mostly trial and error but if anyone has tried this, please let me know what I'm in for. Getting a lot of requests for them and don't always have them on hand. Thought it'd be a good added touch to be able to "whip" one out whenever a customer wants one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Covers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2013 05:45PM

There's almost no doubt you can obtain this material and either heat seal or grommet fasten the ends to make them as you need them. But I don't know where to tell you to look. Hopefully somebody else can, and will.

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 06:57PM

I looked into this in the past and found you can buy them already made for about the same cost as the materials

This guy sells for $5.75 ea. www.scottsrodsleeves.com

The cheapest I found the material without buying it by the ton was $1 per foot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 06:57PM by Don Ahart.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2013 06:59PM

I would think the advantage to making your own would be the quick and easy ability to make whatever length you want at the drop of a hat. Buying them pre-made requires you to keep enough sizes in stock to fill any immediate need. I don't doubt for a minute, of course, that you can buy them for not much more, if not the same or less, than you can make your own for.

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 07:15PM

If it helps the product is called "expandable braided sleeving"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 07:23PM by Don Ahart.

Posted by: John Pope (50.58.79.---)
Date: January 09, 2013 08:46AM

Polyester Expandable (Braided) Monofilament Sleeving
I used 3/4" for all my boat striper rods for a nice tight fit so I could get them in the locker neatly. Mine looks like it will expand at least twice or more what the stated size is. If you have a few friends to split it with you then these guys have a great price on a bulk spool. [www.cabletiesplus.com]

I just used a soldering iron to cut and seal the ends and shrink wrap and heat gun to bind them for the flared end just turn the tube inside out for a few inches and strecth it a little. It did not take long to make up a dozen. If you buy in bulk the materials will be about $2 per sleeve and you can make any length sleeve you need

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 10:07AM

Thanks John. I've found the stuff for about 37 cents a foot in 3/4" and almost 50 cents a foot in 1 1/4". Found a supplier that also supplys alot of the professional makers of rod covers. Thanks also for the tips on flaring and cutting, was wondering how that was done. I've also found they use the 3/4 on micro guide rods and the 1 1/4 on normal casting rods. I'd have to go with the 2" on spinning rods and it is around 80 cents a foot. So, for casting at least, it may be worth my while. Thanks again for the help, all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster