I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sulky thread
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2013 08:24PM

has any one had problem with sulky thread looking burnt after epoxy. before even putting heat to it also so not burning epoxy. 3 coats of cp help please 4 wrap and still having problems

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sulky thread
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2013 08:34PM

I use Sulky Holoshimmer a lot for trim wraps and have never had that problem. I have not used any of their regular thread though.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2013 08:41PM

What type of Sulky thread? Like David, I've used the holoshimmer (with and without CP) and metallics successfully without issue.

Date: January 05, 2013 08:56PM

this is regular thread its like the coating is getting through the cp thinking of going back and ordering regular rod bulding thread.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2013 09:02PM

I've never tried the regular Sulky. I have used Gutterman polyester thread from the craft store successfully with a couple coats of CP. The only issue with the polyester that I've had is that it gets fuzzy if you rout it through guides and such to get it to the blank.

In any case nylon threads marketed for builders are the most trouble free that I use.

Joe

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 10:16AM

i use sulky and maderia 1 for 1,at the same time,in the same wrap,just about every wrap.both have good qualities and are similiar in texture,both require CP and i have gotten in the habit of multiple thinned coats for best results.i have never expierence a"burned look" or anything similiar,if you could post a pic maybe that would narrow down the issue

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Date: January 06, 2013 04:06PM

Make sure your Sulky is either Polyester or Nylon. The other types of thread like Rayon or Cotton will not work. Rayon turns to mush and really messes things up when CP is applied.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: January 06, 2013 05:32PM

david,all the sulky in my boxes is rayon and i've never had a problem,been using this product since day 1 of decrotive wrapping.

Date: January 06, 2013 06:53PM

I tried Rayon a few years ago and when I put CP on it, it somehow had a reaction where the thread color ran into the other colors and became sticky and mushy. It was regular water-based CP. The thread was Madeira Rayon.
All of my Sulky is either Poly or Metallic Holoshimmer now. I even put a post on this forum about Rayon and found similar results as to what happened to me. I wish I could use Rayon because there are so many colors, but it didn't work at all for me.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: January 06, 2013 08:06PM

i just wondered if it was the coating on it that they put on it. thanks guys

Date: January 06, 2013 08:19PM

It does sound like some kind of contamination. Whether on the thread from the factory or other source.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: January 06, 2013 08:39PM

ok so a big mistake taken on my part. i went to a local fabric store and bought a lot of sulky threads in holoshimmer and metalics. but this is not sulky after getting out in the shop the brand is gutermann 100%viscose. says it is like rayon so there we go. you would think i couldnt read. im giving this stuff to mom to sew with,haha all the sulky stuff looking back did great but not this stuff. thanks guys

Date: January 06, 2013 08:42PM

Yep, 100% viscose is definitely Rayon. Do a search on this forum on Rayon. You will get lots of info on it. I did the same thing and so have other builders. Don't feel bad.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: January 07, 2013 05:23PM

David Dosser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried Rayon a few years ago and when I put CP on
> it, it somehow had a reaction where the thread
> color ran into the other colors and became sticky
> and mushy. It was regular water-based CP. The
> thread was Madeira Rayon.
> All of my Sulky is either Poly or Metallic
> Holoshimmer now. I even put a post on this forum
> about Rayon and found similar results as to what
> happened to me. I wish I could use Rayon because
> there are so many colors, but it didn't work at
> all for me.

thats so strange,'cause i also use casons water based CP and i still haven't had any problems with this thread.i don't think i'm doing anything different,i do mix the thread with maderia,sometimes 1-1 right along side each other,sometimes in bands crossing over maderia,umm....i give up,sometimes you gotta not think so hard i guess?

Date: January 07, 2013 07:23PM

Polyester, Nylon, Sulky Holoshimmer, metallics, but not Rayon. It is strange that it works for you indeed. Rayon is coated with silicone, more so than Madeira Poly, and also shrinks when CP is applied. I have heard of people using it for trim wraps, but not long, decorative wraps. Most will steer clear of it. Do a search and you will see several threads on Rayon use.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster