I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

under wrap finish
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 04:54PM

Still planning my next build. Should I put CP and finish on under wraps before putting on guides and over wrap?
Will be using Madeira thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: under wrap finish
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: January 04, 2013 05:13PM

I do not use underwraps much but when I do I always put a very thin coat of epoxy on them so the top wrap will be easier to make, plus I know that finish will be all the way down through the wrap to the blank. JMO but I do not like to count on either CP or epoxy making it all the way through two layers of thread.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 05:37PM

CP for sure, finish if you like. Try out both on a scrap and see what you prefer. Finish and CP on the underwrap helps with wrapping over it.

Terry

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 05:43PM

Paul, #1.. putting CP on your underwrap will bond it to the blank
#2. Putting finish on your underwrap after CP will not penetrate to the blank
#3. finish with not penetrate CP is the CP if of good quality and applied properly
#4 Two reasons for an underwrap are: A: cosmetic B. a buffer between stiff guide feet (boat and trolling) to protect the blank from guide feet while fighting heavy fish. 0r a third one: Just because you want to do it or your customer wants it.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 07:04PM

Got my is and my if transposed in the above post, comes with getting old and careless! :>)

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 11:52PM

Epoxy will penetrage two layers of thread just fine. If in doubt, apply some epoxy to the tip of a guide foot that has two layers of thread on top. Wait for it to soak in and appy more...just to the tip of the foot. Keep putting drops there as they soak in. In a couple of minutes should see the epoxy coming out of the tunnel area at the far end of the foot. That will show you that the epoxy has no issues soaking through two layers (or three layers).

I have never had an issue with appying and A guide wrap over an A underwrap. If you have issues, use D for the guide wrap.

As far as CP or epoxy finish bonding to the blank...I'm not sure about that. When you take a guide off to re-wrap it I don't see very much bonding of anything to the blank. The wraps, new or old, simply peel away. I have always felt the epoxy is there as protection from abrasion more than anything else. Maybe I'm wrong...I've never done any experiments. Either way it doesn't really amount to a hill of beans one way or the other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster