I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question for Tom on rodguild
Posted by: arvin reyes (---.server4you.de)
Date: January 04, 2013 11:02AM

Tom there is a new guild forming and there e-mail said they will launch this coming Sunday. The people at the old guild said you were behind this. so can you answer some questions? how much to join. Will there be a magazine? Is there going to be a enw forum for this part or will you use this one? thansk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for Tom on rodguild
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2013 11:10AM

What they told you isn't the least bit true. I'm going to assume you are referring to the new RodSmith's Guild. I believe this an organization aimed mostly at the bamboo rod making fraternity, however, they haven't contacted me and I really don't know anything about their plans or intentions. If you received an email from them you already have their contact information. I suggest you contact them directly and ask.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 01:33PM

[rodsmithsguild.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 04:39PM

I don't see why an organization dedicated to Bamboo rods would have a spinning rod on their logo.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: January 04, 2013 05:02PM

You can make a spinning rod out of bamboo, can't you? Didn't they use to make all types of rods out of bamboo? They do have a wood plane on their logo. Can't see using that on graphite.

Posted by: arvin reyes (---.server4you.de)
Date: January 04, 2013 05:09PM

somebody named Al Hutchison from the old guild is saying that Tom is behind it. thats why I asked about it here.

Date: January 04, 2013 05:24PM

Now there's a guy who would never say anything that's not true, right?

Look, why not just email or call these folks and ask them directly? As I said, I've had no communication with them and therefore have no idea what their plans or intentions are. But it should a be simple thing to find out if you go direct to the source.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 06:44PM

I found an old bamboo 2 piece spinning rod. While not a particularly high end rod it is quite functional.
I fixed a small crack; reseated the male ferrule; refinished the rod and put on new guides.

A gentle cast will empty the spool of 6# mono from the little Quantum reel. It's my favorite spinning rod now.

Date: January 04, 2013 08:55PM

is there anyone seriously taking the time, effort, and cost to construct a fine bamboo blank and then build it into a spinning rod? In todays market of high end graphite and fiberglass materials. That's just nonsense.

But I guess anything is possible.

Date: January 04, 2013 09:01PM

You could say the same thing about bamboo fly rods, where graphite is going to make for a much higher performance rod. And yet, the most expensive fly rods sold each year are far and away in the bamboo market.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 09:53PM

Matt -
Yes, I build them for about one person / year. Normally what I like to do is do a complete set of a long spey rod where the tip sections can be used as either a light bait caster or spinning rod by embedding a like size ferrule in a wooden handle.

Date: January 04, 2013 11:08PM

Edited:

with about 2 minutes of research I found a cached webpage listing the founding members of the guild. I then posted the names here. After thinking about it....I guess if they want to be secret until Sunday, they can remain secret until Sunday. If you really must know who it is you know who to get a hold of me.

And no, Tom Kirkman is not named on the list.

matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 11:37PM by Matt Dotts.

Date: January 04, 2013 11:35PM

If you recognize these names, you'll quickly realize that they are bamboo rod makers.

I'm not saying that they won't or don't accept makers of graphite and glass rods, just that it would be a simple matter to contact them and ask directly. I have to believe these folks would be more than happy to fill you in on what they've got going on. To speculate when you don't have to is a waste of time.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: January 05, 2013 10:08AM

I guess we'll all find out tomorrow exactly what the purpose and goals of this Guild will be. If you do a search under my name going back several years you can see that I had hoped for something like this for a long, long time. So I hope they do allow all custom builders from bamboo to graphite to be a part of such a thing. If you look at the beginning stages of their website and what appears to be coming, it is really a far sight better than what that "other" group was all about. [rodsmithsguild.com]

Posted by: David Shumway (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2013 04:20PM

Good afternoon everyone. I guess I am the horse's mouth so....

I was directed by one of our founding members to this topic, and thought I'd perhaps shed a little light.

The Rodsmith's Guild is not affiliated with Tom, and it is not exclusive to bamboo. Perhaps names like Josh Cooper, Howard Croston, Kerry Burkheimer, David Norwich, Nuno Paulino, and Steve Rajeff (to name a few) will provide evidence that the founding membership includes individuals working with a medium other than bamboo.

The Rodsmith's Guild is open to those practicing in any of the recognized Trades regardless of material, location, or purpose for which the rod is designed and built. There is far too much information to explain in a post, and posts are not the place for us to be promoting the Rodsmith's Guild. So I will simply state that the mission of the Rodsmith's Guild is to distinguish true craftsmen in the rodsmithing trades, and to promote and protect those trades through the sharing of knowledge and skills within the membership, and the perpetuation of those skills to future tradesmen through apprenticeships.

Hopefully that helps, and thanks for the consideration Tom.

---David

Date: January 05, 2013 04:25PM

No problem at all. I wish you the best of luck with your organization.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster