I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blotchy thread after finished
Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 10:32AM

I applied chromaseal on thread early in the morning then put threadmaster lite on late in the evening and the thread looks blotchy did I not wait long enough before putting on the finish wait time was about 8 hours

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blotchy thread after finished
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2013 10:38AM

Either that or you didn't get a uniform coat of CP on the thread. Or, your thread wasn't packed tightly enough.

What color thread over what color blank?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 10:38AM

What Tom said

I let dry at Least Overnight Apply on a turner

A thread-regular nylon ?? 1 - 2 or 3 coats of CP ?? Black blank Thread Packed Very Well ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2013 10:41AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 12:00PM

Thanks guys I thought I had it packed pretty good I don't think I let it cure long enough and put to much cp on at one time

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.129.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: January 02, 2013 01:20PM

With Chromaseal cp you want to apply at least two full coats and let it turn on a dryer until completly dry and the colours have fully returned, sometimes with differrent temperatures this can take a little longer, but usually the next day the colours will have completly returned with no bleed through issues. You can apply finish to the wraps the next day but i always prefer to wait at least 24 hours first.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.19.---)
Date: January 02, 2013 06:13PM

Hi Bucky,
I'll second Steve's comments although I don't let it dry in a dryer and haven't had a problem.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 06:44PM

I have found putting it on while turning like said gives better coverage
30 min later should be set If warm
Several coats

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.140.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: January 02, 2013 08:36PM

The simple reason i turn the rod on my dryer when applying a full coat of Chromaseal to the wraps is to prevent it from dripping and building up at the bottom if i just let it sit until dry. I check it every so often and usually turn off my dryer when it is almost dry.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster