I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork reaming rods
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 01:11AM

I need to redo my rods , wha't is the best way? use contact glue or epoxy as my binding cement with sanding belts cut up need some input please
thanks SID

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork reaming rods
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 01:30AM

I simply use various sizes of circular files - chucked into a variable speed drill - turning backwards against the direction of the file spiral.
Easy, quick and never wears out.

Roger

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns3.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 28, 2012 06:29AM

I've made a couple of these. I used a 60-grit belt for a belt sander and cut it into 8mm wide strips. I glued it on using contact glue and its worked really well.

I found it easier to get my father to help me, by holding the rod and slowly turning it, while I firmly laid the strip into place, ensuring a nice evenly spaced spiral. Its one of those times when you can really use an extra set of hands.

Dale

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2012 07:06AM

I use two items, Double Cut circular files, the same as Roger, you can find these files with Hex end on them, just like a driver attachment. They work great when you run the drill in reverse. Also use the Batson Dream Reamer kit to final fit if the diameter of the files I have does not get me all the way there.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 07:38AM

I made my own using strips of sand paper (sold in most hw stores or harbor freight) - they come in 20 foot long rolls 1/2" wide. I epoxied the strips to metal arbors (drill rods) from home depot & chuck them into a drill press. In 3 years of augering out various material I've only replaced the paper once.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 09:27AM

I believe Flex Coat has a video on making these Check them out They do
[www.flexcoat.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 28, 2012 12:33PM

The really nice thing to do, is what many rod manufacturers do.
They design a rod, with a given blank and handle.
Then, they take the measurements to a machine shop and have the machine shop make them a tapered reamer that is an exact match for the blank and the grip.

The reamer is chucked into a drill press with a 20 inch stroke.
The grip is stood on and and in one pass the reamer does a perfect job of reaming the grip. It likely takes one to two seconds to perfectly ream the grip per rod when making up a batch of a thousand or two thousand identical rods.

Then, it makes sense to pay the $$$$$$$$$ for the custom machine work for the perfect tapered reamer.

Be safe
Roger

Date: December 28, 2012 01:12PM

I don't think he is making 1000 rods

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 28, 2012 01:35PM

Bill,
Of course not.
But, if you do go out and do some searches, you can often find nice machinest reamers for a decent price on the used market.
If so, thesevery long lasting metal reamers make very quick work of reaming a grip.

Roger

Date: December 28, 2012 03:58PM

Making them out of scrap blanks are --- I would think -- a lot cheaper And work VERY well No need for a machined tapered reamer Scrap blanks work well A lot cheaper And you can make any size needed for a given handle or seat ID size As needed
I also glue one inside another to make them stiffer

Come on -- It's a fishing rod

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 04:46PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.082.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 28, 2012 06:23PM

I found that it works better for me if i dont glue the sand paper to the scrap blank all i do is tape it at the top on an angle that gives a nice channel between the wrapped sand paper this helps by giving the material a place to go. Once im happy with how the sand paper is laying i wrap the but end with a couple of wraps of masking tape and it holds pretty snug. Not glueing makes it super easy to change out the paper but the stuff lasts for ages anyway.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 07:51PM

I have made a number, about 1 dozen different sized reaming rods out of scrap blanks. I used #60 grit carborundum granuales/particles, what ever you wish to call them. Spread them out on a piece of wax paper, coated the scrap blank of the proper size with epoxy, the rolled the rod section through the grit. Make sure the blank is well sanded so the epoxy and grit adhere, then chuck it in to your rod dryer to turn until cured. When needed, I use carbide or SS burrs chucked into my lathe for special cork or EVA boring, you just have to be careful that it doesn't grab the cork or other material out of your hand.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 08:38AM

Darn - I forgot ... I spiral wrap the sandpaper onto the metal rods leaving a gap between the spirals. This seems to clear the removed material.

Posted by: frank kurant (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 10:00PM

another way is to use golf club shafts,,cut the head and the grip off and grind the small end to remove the chrome finish,this will fit in a drill chuck nicely,I used 2 sided tape to adhere the sandpaper to the shaft,golf club shafts made of steel work best and they are cheap and they are already tapered,,,you can usually find old golf clubs at yard sales.I also build golf clubs.

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2013 10:21PM

Randolph, what kind of epoxy do you use in the method you described above?

Thanks!

Scott

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster