I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish thickness?
Posted by: Craig Strong (67.51.70.---)
Date: December 26, 2012 04:30PM

I have a blank section, with a painted finish, that is the right diameter at the male ferrule to replace the second section up in a four piece Lamiglas rod. The rod where the replacement section is needed is unfinished.

As a general rule, how much thickness does a coat of finish add to a blank?

This is part of my long quest to resurrect my favorite fly rod, an XMG 905 travel rod after breaking the second up from the butt section last summer.

Thanks.

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish thickness?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2012 04:39PM

That depends on how thickly you apply the finish, although, most epoxies are fairly thick compared to other paint type coatings so you're apt to change the fit by adding epoxy to that area.

Date: December 26, 2012 04:40PM

I used the wrong term. Not finish as in thread finish but paint, as in the paint on the blank.

Date: December 26, 2012 04:41PM

It will change the fit, albeit very, very slightly. But again, it really depends upon how much you apply. The less the better as far as the fit is concerned.

Date: December 26, 2012 04:44PM

I'm looking to strip a factory painted blank section and want to know how much smaller the male ferrule will be after I strip it with Citristrip.

Date: December 26, 2012 05:02PM

Depends on how thick the paint is now. If you're lucky, all that will happen is that the female section will slide a little further down onto the male section, with no problems in the fit.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 05:32PM

Craig,
A lot of folks after stripping the blank, will just mask off the section of blank that is part of a male joint and not finish it. Then, there is no clearance issue involved with rebuilding the rod.

Roger

Date: December 26, 2012 07:15PM

Roger, in this case, I would need to strip everything BUT the male joint which is definitely an option to keep the rod length and ensure the ferrule will fit as it does now.

I think I'll measure the diameter on a part of the section I have to cut off anyhow, strip it and compare it's pre-stripped diameter to it's post-stripped diameter. If it's more than three or four thousandths smaller, which I expect it will be, I will either keep the mismatched paint or strip all but the male ferrule. Depends on whether I think fishing with an ugly rod will affect my ability to cast it as well as I could before all this work.

Thanks for your input. I'll try to be more clear in future questions.

-Craig

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 08:01PM

I think you were clear Craig. Sometimes I wonder if others read clearly!

If you have a perfect fit then why risk anything? As you say, just leave the finish on the male end. Done right it shouldn't be visible once the rod is made up for fishing. Certainly no need to keep the finish on the entire section.

Really I doubt it would help if someone could say,"the finish is 3 mills thick". In the end I suspect it will be as Tom states and the section will just slide a tad more forward into the female section.

About all I can say of worth is lamiglas often uses a thicker finish than say a st.croix. For that reason I'd try and keep the finish on the male end. Once removed it is hard to put it back on and you can always remove it later if the looks don't cut it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 27, 2012 08:35AM

Put the sections together mark the male where it stops
measure the male end Wright it down
Strip the section When complete Check the fit again
If it goes down farther you can put one or two coats of Permagloss on the mail to take up the difference
let each coat dry several days before ya fit again to check Too soon and you will have a one piece

Works for me i have also painted blanks and lightly sanded the mail to get a better fit if the paint was to thick

If the rest of the rod has clear over it the clear may just be enough to get a good fit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Craig Strong (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 27, 2012 12:55PM

I'm glad my predicament was clear to you, Russ.

I'm not about to criticize those who are pitching in to help, however. I have a habit of including far too much detail which can be even more confusing than too little. Working on paring down my written communications to just enough. All input is appreciated.

Bill, I am collecting permagloss projects before I open a bottle and get started. I'llf o don't have a satisfactory fit with a painted male ferrule before starting the other applications I have for the stuff I'll strip and build up the ferrule with thin, even coats. It'll be my first time using permagloss. On a male ferrule, should I plan to block sand it after it cures and/or before a second coat? Any other permagloss tips appreciated.

Date: December 27, 2012 04:10PM

can not tell from your post
But is this rod a - tip over butt - feruled rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Craig Strong (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 27, 2012 04:22PM

Yes. Tip over butt.

Date: December 27, 2012 04:50PM

Like I have said
Fit - measure - strip
If you don't like the fit after stripping it trim a 1/8" off the male

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster