I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need advise on a bass crankbait blank choice
Posted by: Jim Johns (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 11:25AM

First some background. I'm a bass angler 98% of the time. I love to throw shallow running square billed crankbaits like the Strike King KVD 1.5 (3/8oz) and 2.5 (5/8 oz). I currently use a rod I built about 10 years ago from a Lamiglas GP963 Popping blank that I shortened to 7' from the butt end. It was one of my very first builds and I love the action and backbone of this rod - it works perfectly for this technique. Unfortunately, Lamiglas no longer makes a blank like the GP963 - I called and asked.

I'd like to build a second rod as similar in action to this one as possible - something in the 7' to 7'6" range. I've been searching for the right blank and I keep coming back to the St Croix Avid 3C70MM. I had a rod built on the 3C66MM blank years ago and it was pretty much a whippy stick which is why I keep hesitating. I want a graphite blank because I've had wrist and shoulder surgery and need to keep the physical weight of the rod as low as possible.

Any input would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advise on a bass crankbait blank choice
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 24, 2012 12:14PM

Yes great blank for cranking medium and a moderate cant beat that for 1.5 kvd

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.57.125.10.mpowercom.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 01:17PM

Get hold of Lance Dupre at Swampland Tackle (on the left) He'll fix you up with the right Seeker blank.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 06:34PM

Jim,

I use an MHX CB 845 and a Lamiglass CCB 844 (Composite) for moving baits on Guntersville. I have a Seeker 706 (S Glass) but have found it does not do as well in the grass as the other 2. The Seeker is a great rod, but the other 2 handle the grass better, in my opinion.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 07:19PM

You might find that moving up to the St Croix 3C70MHM is a solid solution. I have one that is used for inshore crankbaits and I like it very much.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 09:43PM

Check the sponsors to the left that carry Lamiglas blanks. They may have an IP 903 or 843 around, IM 700 versions of your blank, yours was G 1000 material. They are recently discontinued models I believe.

Posted by: Jim Johns (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 10:46PM

Bert Nagy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim,
>
> I use an MHX CB 845 and a Lamiglass CCB 844
> (Composite) for moving baits on Guntersville. I
> have a Seeker 706 (S Glass) but have found it does
> not do as well in the grass as the other 2. The
> Seeker is a great rod, but the other 2 handle the
> grass better, in my opinion.
>
> Bert Nagy

Bert,

I seldom throw square bills around the grass, so I not sure that's an appropriate solution for this situation. However, if we can get together I'd love to try them out, expeciallhy the MHX. Merry Christmas to you and Laura. Please let us know next time you are in the Guntersville area.

Jim Gamble - I already own both 3C70MHM and 3C70HM rods. The MHM is a great rod, but not my preference for this specific technique.

Good idea, Spencer.

Thanks for the input, fellows. Keep it coming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster