I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson Rainshadow blanks: need help selecting one?
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 12:15PM

...this will be my first Batson blank. I'm looking for a finesse (but not too light--no dropshot type blank) spinning rod with a fast or ex-fast action between 6'10" and 7'2" for skipping weightless senkos under docks, light texas rigs, fishing tubes/4" senkos, and possibly heavier shakyheading (ie...football shakyhead 1/4 ounce with a hula grub). I'm a bass fisherman, sorry forgot that part. I won't be doing the build myself, but I have many customs, and would also invite anyone interested (in doing the build) to send me an email at sam150s@hotmail.com.
I usually use North Fork Composites blanks (and Loomis, if I purchase a factory built rod). So the main thing is getting the right power and action I'm after, as I'm unfamiliar with the product. For anyone familiar with the old GLX SJ842 Loomis blank (7' med fast action spin jig) I'm looking for something similar in power, speed, and sensitivity is paramount b/c I almost exclusively bottom contact fish with jigs, soft plastics, or finesse baits...NFC doesn't really have a comparable blank that exact power the SJ 804 would be the closest.

The blanks I'm looking at are the RX8+S823 (6'10" med ex-fast, which is a new graphite series for them I think) and the XSB842 (7' med fast). Am I in the ballpark here? And will I be happy with these blanks?
Thanks guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 12:16PM by Sam Moore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson Rainshadow blanks: need help selecting one?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2012 12:58PM

Sam,

I love the RX8+S823, it's my go to for T-rigs with 1/8oz. weights, and other finesse techniques. Due to the physical weight of the tubes, and the 1/4oz. weight shaky heads, I think the tip might be just a tad soft for what you want. I usually reach for an MB783 for tossing tubes and shaky heads/T-rigs with 1/4oz. of lead. The 823 is very much like a drop shot blank with just a wee bit more power from tip to butt. The 823 has a tough time pulling lures in that total weight range through heavier cover in shallow water. The RX8+S812 should handle the slightly heavier lures a bit better, and at 6'9" it's in the ball park for the length you want. A handle can easily be designed to get the extra inch or two without adding weight, if the overall length is important to you.

The XSB is worth a hard look as well. I think you will find the RX8+ models just a wee bit more sensitive than the RX8 models. The other difference is that the RX8+ blanks are rolled in the US, while the RX8s are imported, if the country of origin matters to you.

I can't really comment on how those blanks compare to the GLX SJ842, but I don't think you will be unhappy with any of the blanks you are considering.

Good Luck with the build,

Joe

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 01:29PM

Rainshadow XSW72ML. This blank impressed me as being good for light bass fishing at a prior ICRBE show. I bought and built one, it didn't fail to provide the action/power/sensitivity that I was looking for. IMO, the RX8 lineup offers a great value.

Date: December 23, 2012 04:04PM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sam,
>
> I love the RX8+S823, it's my go to for T-rigs with
> 1/8oz. weights, and other finesse techniques. Due
> to the physical weight of the tubes, and the
> 1/4oz. weight shaky heads, I think the tip might
> be just a tad soft for what you want. I usually
> reach for an MB783 for tossing tubes and shaky
> heads/T-rigs with 1/4oz. of lead. The 823 is very
> much like a drop shot blank with just a wee bit
> more power from tip to butt. The 823 has a tough
> time pulling lures in that total weight range
> through heavier cover in shallow water. The
> RX8+S812 should handle the slightly heavier lures
> a bit better, and at 6'9" it's in the ball park
> for the length you want. A handle can easily be
> designed to get the extra inch or two without
> adding weight, if the overall length is important
> to you.
>
> The XSB is worth a hard look as well. I think you
> will find the RX8+ models just a wee bit more
> sensitive than the RX8 models. The other
> difference is that the RX8+ blanks are rolled in
> the US, while the RX8s are imported, if the
> country of origin matters to you.
>
> I can't really comment on how those blanks compare
> to the GLX SJ842, but I don't think you will be
> unhappy with any of the blanks you are
> considering.
>
> Good Luck with the build,
>
> Joe

Thanks for the info. on the imported vs American blank...I've found a difference in the past...especially comparing NFC or Loomis blanks to say Phenix, imo the American blanks are just more sensitive and stronger.
I guess I need to clarify what the main purpose is of the rod, so you guys can better help me select one:
When I say tubes--I'm mainly talking 3.5 to 4" tubes on a heavier split shot rig fished around stand ups and docks on 8-12 pound test, and when I do Texas Rig with this rod the weight won't exceed 1/8-3/16 ounce of lead.
The shakey head thing with 1/4 ounce shaky football heads would only be in a pinch around docks (I'm admittedly not the best at skipping under docks with my casting equipment even though it's top of the line Shimano Core 51mg's--just need more practice I guess) usually I will be fishing the heavier football heads on a MB 805 NFC or a MB 705 NFC customs or one of my Loomis MB 843's. I just don't often do light duty shakey heading, I'm usually doing it with a chomper or faux crawdad bait on the jig head (I just don't use finesse worms much anymore)...I also don't want the rod to be overly stout b/c like I said it will be a finesse rod too, just not a light finesse. I would like it to double as a river rod for smallies and throwing weightless 4" senko's etc...

That being said would the XSB843 be too stout for my intended purposes, it's only 0.24 of an ounce heavier (1.65 to 1.41) than the XSB842? However the tip is 5.0 which seems more like a MH tip to me, but as I said I now very little about the actions and strength of these blanks. The XCB842 has the exact line and lure ratings I intend to use it for, and the same intended uses "finesse spin/tubes/jigs worms"...I just know from past experience that everyone's ratings aren't always consistent.

If it helps another blank I'm familiar with is St Croix's SCIII, IV's, and V's in the medium power/fast action 7' spinning rods...this is another power that's close to what I want...I just don't like the feel of their graphite.

Also I was curious about the Lamiglas LP844 XMG 50 popping blank--I've fished an IMP844 and it's very close to the power I would like...(I'm just wary b/c I had a bad experience with Lamiglas warranty in the past).
Anyone with experience using the LP844 compared to the Batson's I'm considering and the GLX SJ842 (which I can't get anymore)....which would be the better blank the LP844 or one of the Batson's? And if the Batson is worth a try, which one would suit the intended purpose best?

Thanks guys.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 23, 2012 05:49PM

I have built several XSB842 for guys who shakey head fish, 1/8 oz , 8 to 10 lb test with light casting reels. I use a XSB843 myself for shakey head fishing with slightly heavier line and lure weights. I'm guessing the XSB843 is going to be just a little heavy. I can tell you it is a very good all purpose rod blank for the money. I have never built on a RX8+ blank nor have I used the upper end G. Loomis or St. Croixs so I cannot comment from that prespective.

The guys I build for normally looking for a rod they cannot find on the rack. They also don't want to shell out $400 for a rod either. The RX8 seems to fit a compromise of $ verses performance.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 12:32AM

Maybe take a look on extending an XSW62MX, it is really extra fast and sensitive.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2012 02:34PM

Sam
the- Batson RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black Senko Special
was designed for throwing Senko's
And is my opinion the finest Senko blank built, and will do all you ask of it for your other techniques, also makes a great trick worm rod.

Won't matter to the blank whether you build it a casting or spinning rod, and is easy enough to extend the handle to any of the lengths you looking at

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 24, 2012 10:35PM

I will second Steve's choice. Everyone will have a different opinion on technique specific blanks. But I will go with the RX8+C812 on this one.

Date: December 25, 2012 12:57PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still unsure which Rainshadow blank would fit me best...I have it narrowed to three the RX8+S823, XSB842, and now I'll add the RX8+C812 to the list. I'll call and talk to Batson to get their take on the blanks on Wednesday...The other question I have is how will this blank compare to North Fork Composite's Next IM material? I usually go with NFC my custom rods, at least on the last 4. Will the Rainshadow compare favorably in terms of sensitivity and craftsmanship? Everything I'm reading and seeing about Batson is that their blanks are high quality...I'm just very picky in terms of sensitivity and have had success with NFC, but at the same time I'm itching to try something new...Personally I don't like the way Croix, Lamiglas, or Phenix fish...they just don't feel as alive to me as NFC or Loomis. Is there a company (graphite) that Batson fishes or feels closest to?

Thanks for all the help guys. Merry Christmas.

-sam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2012 05:50PM by Sam Moore.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 11:05AM

All those blanks you mentioned are absolutely great. Personally we believe the best US blanks out there in terms of sensitivity are our US Made Hydra Ng Series. We've intergrated a Scrimless Fiber Design (SFD) completely through the blank that eliminates performance robbing materials. You're going to be pushed to find a lighter blank in a equal power (measured on a flex board - not manf. ratings).

More info will be coming in the next week or so once we have the new website up. SFD isn't marketing hype, it's just how we've decided to build them better. A lot of these guys can tell you what they think about the blanks - they have been building with them for a while. We haven't had any negative reviews to date.

Blanks are available from Merrick Tackle and Bingham. If you want to hear some reviews, do a web search for them or ALX Rods. ALX exclusively is built by us, using the Hydra NG Series.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 26, 2012 06:01PM

RX8+S823
Rainshadow RX8+ Bass Rods

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # RX8+S823-SB 6'10" 1 pc 8-14lb - Satin Black
Butt cap: EVABC20 EVA Butt Cap 19.8 mm
Reel Seat: GS17SKC-TC WITH GS17C-GWG Size 17 Spin seat with Gray Woven Graphite Insert
Reel Seat Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 4.05" Length
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS17-TC Trim Ring for Seat Size 17 - TiCH
Fore Grip: WFG2.5 Woven Foregrip 2.232" Length
Use with WFGRC, WFGFC, and WFGPB - EVA End Caps and Shim
Fore Grip Trim Ring: TRS17-TC Trim Ring for Seat Size 17 - TiCH
Rear Grip: WHGRY-10 cut to 9" 10" Woven Graphite Handle-Gray (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Use with WHKAx3, WBBC, and WFGRC - EVA End Caps and Shims
Winding Check: LTCWC415 Lt TitCar Plated Winding Check 0.415" I.D.
Hookeeper: TCHKS Small TiCH Hook Keeper
Tip Top TCPCT06F04.5 TICH w/o Chrome Plated 'P' Top 06 TiCH Flanged Ring 4.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4.5"
2nd XPTCFCG06 9.5"
3rd XPTCFCG07 15"
4th XTCYTCG07 21"
5th XTCYTCG10 28"
6th XTCYTCG16 36"
7th XTCYTCG25 45"

RX8+C812
Rainshadow RX8+ Bass Rods

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # RX8+C812-SB 6'9" 1 pc Medium Senko Special - Satin Black
Butt cap: HESGFB1.5EVA-350 Hard Density Cork EVA Composite Butt Cap
butt cap trim: AWCCO472-tc
Rear Grip: HEFG3.5EVA-250
Rear Grip Trim: AWCCO463-tc
Reel Seat Body: GSTG17C-TC Size 17 Graphite textured
Reel Seat Trim: TRS17-TC
Fore Grip: HEFg2.5eva-250
Winding Check: AWCCO433-tc Forecast Winding Check 11.5" I.D.-Black
Hookeeper: TCHKS Small TiCH Hook Keeper
Tip Top XTCPPCT06R05.5 SS316-RRD-P Top 06 TiCH Ring 5.5 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG SS316- TICH w/o Chrome Single Foot Guide TICH Zirconium Ring - RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316-LXN Guide w/TiCH Ring -TiCH w/o Chrome

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4.5"
2nd XPTCFCG06 9.5"
3rd XPTCFCG07 15"
4th XPTCFCG08 21"
5th XTCYTCG10 28"
6th XTCYTCG16 36"
7th XTCYTCG25 45"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster