I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Christmas emergency help, please
Posted by: John Segal (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 05:14PM

My gift fly rod build was finished 4 days ago, and I had left it on the rack for the Flex Coat to cure. I checked it out an hour ago, and it looked perfect. I put the sections in a rod sock, then put it into a rod-reel case. It was tight, so I removed it, took the rod sections out of the sock, then put them into the individual sleeves of the divided case. Then I thought of taking some photos, so I removed the rod sections, and started taking photos. That's when I noticed that many areas of polymer had something very wrong. They had lost their gloss, as if they had been rubbed, or touched with a solvent. I cannot figure this out.

You can see photos on my Photobucket page here:[s11.beta.photobucket.com]

What can I do, and what might have caused this? I'm might upset. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Christmas emergency help, please
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 05:22PM

No photos of rods there.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 05:33PM

I could see them but you need to look a bit in the sub albums.

Try this link: [m11.photobucket.com]

Anyway, it's hard to tell in the photos, but it looks like the epoxy was a bit soft still and got some minor abrasion from the cloth of the rod bag. Just put a very light coat over the top and you'll never see it. Then let it harden for a week before putting it in a cloth bag.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 05:44PM

Flexcoat has two finishes The new UV finish is better then the old finish

You could try a wax or auto polish on it to bring up the shine Even a furniture polish
If you do and it does not work and you refinish Wash the wrap before you refinish -- fisheyes

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 22, 2012 05:45PM

Thanks Drew. The reason I'm upset is this rod needs to be delivered today. And it is a very special gift.
I am totally puzzled, since I've made other rods and put them in socks with less than 4 days curing time.
I wonder if there is something I can rub the polymer with, to bring back the gloss.

Sorry about the Photobucket link not working. That site has given be problems lately.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2012 05:47PM

I agree with Drew. It was probably not completely cure for whatever reason. I have had this happen to me before. If you just scuff it with a 3M pad and put a light coat over the top it should be fine. I would use a faster drying epoxy if you have one. Something like TM high build would dry fairly quick at 72 degrees or higher. Just use a light coat. If you were using ProKote and the temp was lower than 72 it can take a long time to dry completely.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: December 22, 2012 05:54PM

Thanks very much for your idea of polish, Bill, and your warning about preventing fish eyes. I used the new, UV-improved Flex Coat Lite.

I will try the polish, then put the rod sections in those plastic bags that rod blanks come in. They shouldn't cause any abrasion, I hope. Or maybe I'll just have to give an apology that it the rod will not be ready for Christmas.

Wish me luck! Thanks very much for everyone's quick response. Much appreciated.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 06:02PM

better late then the customer does not like it
Got the same thing going on with a build Did not know what the customer wanted in colors until a few days ago and had to order several

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 22, 2012 06:05PM

Especially since the customer is my daughter, Bill!

Date: December 22, 2012 06:07PM

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 06:20PM

Blushing???

Date: December 22, 2012 06:25PM

What is "blushing", Jim?

Date: December 22, 2012 06:37PM

Okay, I used my jeweler's loupe, and I can see microscopic pits on the areas that have lost their gloss. Is that "blushing", and if so, what is the cause and the cure?
I have ruled out abrasion from contact with the rod sack or case. Much of the problem areas could not have been contacted by the sack or rod case, because they are right up against the guides, on top of the guide feet.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.152.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: December 22, 2012 06:43PM

I wouldn't recommend polishing it, i doubt if it will remove those dulled marks. And if after doing that, and you don't manage to remove all the wax before applying another coat of finish you could be cursing if fish eyes do appear. Best to just lightly scuff the surface, remove the dust and apply another coat and make sure you mix well to avoid this possibly happening again. I can understand you wanting to get this done in time for christmas as you said it was a gift for your daughter.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Date: December 22, 2012 06:47PM

Good point, Steve. Okay, I have to go now, and deliver a backup gift to my daughter. I'll check back here later, for any other suggestions.
Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks very much again for helping me out.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.147.---)
Date: December 22, 2012 08:53PM

If it isn't totally dry and hard to the touch, don't do anything other than wait until it gets that way. then put another coat on it and let it totally dry/harden. I would not apply wax as it could compromise later coats of finish.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 09:24PM

Scuff and apply a light coat. Once it is beyond the sagging stage put it in a small room with a space heater. Get the temperature up for a few hours and all should be well. It might not be ready today, but it will be tomorrow.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 10:20PM

My guess is micro-bubbles that popped once they were touched. I encountered this with Threadmaster just this week. The rod looks absolutely perfect sitting on the rack. I wait 2 or 3 days for a full cure, then I polish it and that's when it happens. Some of the wraps look matte. Under magnification, you can see tiny pits where the bubbles popped.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 11:58PM

I agree with the other posts.
Let it dry for two more days, then apply a coat of finish and let that dry for three days.

Then, you can deliver a perfect rod.

It certainly looks to me like an uncured finish was touched by something and dulled the finish.

I don't think anything bad happened except handling the rod, before the finish was fully cured.

Better to give your daughter the rod case, with a picture of the rod.

Then, when the rod is 100% finished and 100% dry, give it to her.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2012 12:13AM

Never have I waited three days for epoxy to cure...but I usually let it set up in a 90+ degree environment. Overnight usually does it, but 24 hours is a safe bet. Do the small room/space heater setup, and put a foil pan of your epoxy in there also. When the pan of epoxy is safe to touch you are golden.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster